Author Topic: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families  (Read 374274 times)

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
Re: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families
« Reply #6990 on: May 02, 2019, 05:44:35 pm »
Wait... God didn't chose Nehemiah... a foreign power chose Nehemiah.  He worked for the Iranian government.  He wasn't a builder, he was a flunky.

Yes but the wall did wonders stopping Roman invaders.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #6991 on: May 02, 2019, 05:45:17 pm »
Like I said before, evangelicals are the most insane demographic in America.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #6992 on: May 02, 2019, 05:59:04 pm »
Wait... God didn't chose Nehemiah... a foreign power chose Nehemiah.  He worked for the Iranian government.  He wasn't a builder, he was a flunky.

Yes but the wall did wonders stopping Roman invaders.

Also, Israel had sanctuary cities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #6993 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »
The most logical reading of the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah is that the Torah as we know it today is an exilic creation - i.e. that it was a product of the Israeli elites forced into Babylonian exile, but then coming into contact with more literate religious traditions and adjusting their own national and religious mythology in response. That explains the action in Ezra and Nehemiah where learned exiles return to the ancestral homeland and encounter hostility and skepticism.  The biblical books describe this as ignorant backsliding and Ezra-Nehemiah as restorers of the old religion.  More likely, the natives were just practicing their old traditions where the putative national god Yahweh shares pride of place with other regional deities and traditions.  Ezra-Nehemiah aren't purging foreign ideas for Old Time Religion, they are purging the Old Time Religion for their new fangled and foreign-influenced ideas.  Thus explaining all the resistance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

• Octogon Champion
« Reply #6994 on: May 02, 2019, 10:14:47 pm »
Minsky, destroying Facebook memes since... ah, well, since before FB existed!  :P
I need a sig.  My kingdom for a sig!

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #6995 on: May 02, 2019, 10:20:13 pm »
Does one image make a meme?
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

viper37

• Octogon Champion
« Reply #6996 on: May 02, 2019, 11:12:53 pm »
Does one image make a meme?
isn't it how they're called, one image with text?

I guess I was wrong.
I need a sig.  My kingdom for a sig!

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #6997 on: May 02, 2019, 11:57:18 pm »
I just don't think that image will have legs. Metaphorically speaking.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #6998 on: May 03, 2019, 01:10:36 am »
The most logical reading of the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah is that the Torah as we know it today is an exilic creation - i.e. that it was a product of the Israeli elites forced into Babylonian exile, but then coming into contact with more literate religious traditions and adjusting their own national and religious mythology in response. That explains the action in Ezra and Nehemiah where learned exiles return to the ancestral homeland and encounter hostility and skepticism.  The biblical books describe this as ignorant backsliding and Ezra-Nehemiah as restorers of the old religion.  More likely, the natives were just practicing their old traditions where the putative national god Yahweh shares pride of place with other regional deities and traditions.  Ezra-Nehemiah aren't purging foreign ideas for Old Time Religion, they are purging the Old Time Religion for their new fangled and foreign-influenced ideas.  Thus explaining all the resistance.

I think you have a point here, though I don't know when the Judeans became entirely monotheistic.  The Samaritans did not go into Captivity and they are also monotheistic.  Still your broader point stands, it's likely that the Judeans who went to Babylon were fundamentally changed by the experience.  In a sense they came to Babylon as Judeans and returned as Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #6999 on: May 03, 2019, 04:59:54 am »
"In the Shadow of the Sword" is an excellent book about that very period.

Oexmelin

• Naked Mole Rat
  • Commissaire-ordonnateur
« Reply #7000 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:03 pm »

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #7001 on: May 06, 2019, 03:15:54 am »
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #7002 on: May 06, 2019, 03:44:15 am »
The grammar's surprisingly good. :thumbsup:
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

derspiess

• Blessed by Valmy
  • beer fixes everything
« Reply #7003 on: May 06, 2019, 08:48:07 am »
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus