News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2019, 05:35:15 PM
Wait... God didn't chose Nehemiah... a foreign power chose Nehemiah.  He worked for the Iranian government.  He wasn't a builder, he was a flunky.

Yes but the wall did wonders stopping Roman invaders.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Like I said before, evangelicals are the most insane demographic in America.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2019, 05:44:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2019, 05:35:15 PM
Wait... God didn't chose Nehemiah... a foreign power chose Nehemiah.  He worked for the Iranian government.  He wasn't a builder, he was a flunky.

Yes but the wall did wonders stopping Roman invaders.

Also, Israel had sanctuary cities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The most logical reading of the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah is that the Torah as we know it today is an exilic creation - i.e. that it was a product of the Israeli elites forced into Babylonian exile, but then coming into contact with more literate religious traditions and adjusting their own national and religious mythology in response. That explains the action in Ezra and Nehemiah where learned exiles return to the ancestral homeland and encounter hostility and skepticism.  The biblical books describe this as ignorant backsliding and Ezra-Nehemiah as restorers of the old religion.  More likely, the natives were just practicing their old traditions where the putative national god Yahweh shares pride of place with other regional deities and traditions.  Ezra-Nehemiah aren't purging foreign ideas for Old Time Religion, they are purging the Old Time Religion for their new fangled and foreign-influenced ideas.  Thus explaining all the resistance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Minsky, destroying Facebook memes since... ah, well, since before FB existed!  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2019, 10:20:13 PM
Does one image make a meme?
isn't it how they're called, one image with text?

I guess I was wrong.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I just don't think that image will have legs. Metaphorically speaking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2019, 06:44:54 PM
The most logical reading of the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah is that the Torah as we know it today is an exilic creation - i.e. that it was a product of the Israeli elites forced into Babylonian exile, but then coming into contact with more literate religious traditions and adjusting their own national and religious mythology in response. That explains the action in Ezra and Nehemiah where learned exiles return to the ancestral homeland and encounter hostility and skepticism.  The biblical books describe this as ignorant backsliding and Ezra-Nehemiah as restorers of the old religion.  More likely, the natives were just practicing their old traditions where the putative national god Yahweh shares pride of place with other regional deities and traditions.  Ezra-Nehemiah aren't purging foreign ideas for Old Time Religion, they are purging the Old Time Religion for their new fangled and foreign-influenced ideas.  Thus explaining all the resistance.

I think you have a point here, though I don't know when the Judeans became entirely monotheistic.  The Samaritans did not go into Captivity and they are also monotheistic.  Still your broader point stands, it's likely that the Judeans who went to Babylon were fundamentally changed by the experience.  In a sense they came to Babylon as Judeans and returned as Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

"In the Shadow of the Sword" is an excellent book about that very period.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."