Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zoupa on April 04, 2019, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2019, 02:40:53 PM
Anecdotally I can tell you that not one of them mentions the need for work life balance.   I often find myself telling them to leave the office at the end of my work day, not work weekends, and I find them coming in earlier than me.  Something no Millennial in my office has ever done.  So I am hopeful that is the case.

That is encouraging. 

No, it's depressing.

We have to remember the untold millions whose final words were ".....if only I'd spent more time in the office"  :P

crazy canuck

Or better yet, if only I had a good job - will that be a grande?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2019, 08:59:33 AM

I have to say that even with the Millennial generational reputation I am kind of impressed some hot shot lawyers would ever discuss something like "work-life balance".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 09:06:25 AM

I have to say that even with the Millennial generational reputation I am kind of impressed some hot shot lawyers would ever discuss something like "work-life balance".

It's a real problem, leading to all sorts of structural problems.

To give but one example, the whole gender balance thing. Incoming associates are at par (equal numbers of men and women), but not at the partner level. A big part of the problem is that fewer women are willing to put up with a profession with no balance - many want to have children at some point, and as a generality, women are on average more invested than men in the day-to-day lives of young children.  So female associates tend, all else being equal, to be more likely to go into less time-demanding legal fields if they have kids - they work in-house for corporations or for the government.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 09:06:25 AM

Your assumptions are interesting. 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I guess Conchita Wurst above here has one point: if this horrible Sri Lanka attack was done in the developed world against a Muslim minority, "Islamophobia" would be blamed. But in this case there will be no mention of "Christanophobia".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2019, 04:41:53 AM
I guess Conchita Wurst above here has one point: if this horrible Sri Lanka attack was done in the developed world against a Muslim minority, "Islamophobia" would be blamed. But in this case there will be no mention of "Christanophobia".

It's pretty much BS.  Crazy Australian guy specifically targeted Muslims.  Jihadis happily kill any Westerner, regardless of religion.  They didn't ask the non-Christians to leave the Madrid subway or the World Trade Center before blowing them up,

Zoupa

They specifically targeted churches, Yi.

Admiral Yi

They specifically target a lot of things and a lot of people.  Should we also start recognizing Yazidiphobia, aid worker phobia, journalistphobia, subway rider phobia, ancient Roman ruin phobia, etc., etc., etc?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2019, 06:04:20 PM
They specifically target a lot of things and a lot of people.  Should we also start recognizing Yazidiphobia, aid worker phobia, journalistphobia, subway rider phobia, ancient Roman ruin phobia, etc., etc., etc?

I think we could probably do something with the hatred of the Yazidis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2019, 04:41:53 AM
Oh there are plenty of people who only get worked up about atrocities that target christians. It helps them maintain their martyr complexes.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2019, 06:04:20 PM

We should start by not using -phobia for hatred since phobia means fear.  :nerd: Mis(o) or anti- work fine.