News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 02:07:28 PM
It is hard to have a conversation when the common ground is so devoid of commonality.  Have a nice day.

Have you considered avoiding starting off with sarcasm? That might go a long way towards establishing commonality.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2019, 04:31:48 AM
Also she can't being able to resist voicing the backward anti-semitic stuff I suspect he brings from her parents' household and upbringing doesn't help.
Anti-Israel /= Anti-Semitic
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 12, 2019, 03:06:08 PM
Also she can't being able to resist voicing the backward anti-semitic stuff I suspect he brings from her parents' household and upbringing doesn't help.

Depends on how you are being anti-Israel. I mean I have a strong feeling of love/loathing for Israel but that is more about them being a nationalistic state than a Jewish one. If you are against them because they are the ethnic and national enemies of Dar al-Islam then I am a bit skeptical of that /= claim.

But I am generally not familiar with this Muslim Congresswoman and what flavor of Muslim she is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2019, 03:29:53 PM

Depends on how you are being anti-Israel. I mean I have a strong feeling of love/loathing for Israel but that is more about them being a nationalistic state than a Jewish one. If you are against them because they are the ethnic and national enemies of Dar al-Islam then I am a bit skeptical of that /= claim.

But I am generally not familiar with this Muslim Congresswoman and what flavor of Muslim she is.

Looks to have been a tempest in a teapot stirred up by that most dangerous of all political tools, the tweet.  :lol:

The lady in question posted a tweet basically stating that support for Israel was all due to "the Benjamins", which some took as an offensive reference to Jewish money. A common anti-Semitic canard about Jews and money raised hackles, leading to the usual round of outrage and apology.

Problem is that she then doubled down with a statement that implied Jews owe allegiance to a foreign country, which set off another round ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Well if she doesn't want to appear to be anti-Semitic than that was probably not a good start.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

She's an idiot but perspective matters.

When people march with Nazi flags in the middle of Virginia that is concerning. When the President of the United States refers to marching Nazis as "very fine people" it is concerning. When the same President passes on an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory about Jewish bankers paying to fake opposition to his judicial appointments that was also concerning.

The guy that shot up the synagogue in Pittsburgh wasn't motivated about Israel's policy in the territories or the lobbying role of AIPAC.  He was one of those "very fine people."

I'm not normally in favor of whataboutism, Ms. Detroit Congresswoman IMO should not be let anywhere near any foreign policy related committee or any leadership position in the party.

But the crushing hypocrisy of the Steve Bannon candidate for President lecturing about anti-Semitism is a bit much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Here's another way to think about it.

What if a Democrat in Congress spoke out about the history of Jewish espionage in America, the US Liberty attack etc., and proposed a ban of all Jews entering America? The FoxNews crowd would blow its stack.  Hell everyone other than a couple of Nazis would blow their stack.

But it's perfectly OK to propose a ban of all Muslims entering the US . . .

As a Jew, I'm naturally inclined to focus on slights to my religion first.  As a human being, though, I am morally obliged to take seriously attacks on all classes of people.

There is right and wrong, and the Trump wing of the GOP has lost all moral authority by virtue of its standing tall and proud for what is wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Yeah, as I see it, her tweets created a tempest in a teapot, much ado about very little.

Idiocy occurs on both the left and the right, but the right wing variety is much more dangerous these days.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on March 12, 2019, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 02:07:28 PM
It is hard to have a conversation when the common ground is so devoid of commonality.  Have a nice day.

Have you considered avoiding starting off with sarcasm? That might go a long way towards establishing commonality.

Yeah, it isn't like we fundamentally disagree. We just disagree here on whether AOC's bark is of substance or not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The Democratic leadership message to the Muslim chicks was a masterpiece of spin.  They couldn't come out and say "we like our Jewish donor money, so STFU," so instead they had to cloak the warning in language about tropes.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2019, 06:54:53 PM
The Democratic leadership message to the Muslim chicks was a masterpiece of spin.  They couldn't come out and say "we like our Jewish donor money, so STFU," so instead they had to cloak the warning in language about tropes.

I am just glad to see "Democratic leadership" and "masterpiece" in the same sentence.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2019, 06:54:53 PM

Seriously. Lady forgot she's in Congress, folks got to run every 2 years.  Never, EVER badmouth the Benjamins.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 01:54:37 PM
She is also getting a lot of support for her ideas from places like the Economist, which grudgingly admits she makes good points about taxation policy and the New York Times which regularly runs editorials pointing out that she has done her homework on this issues and that her ideas are not as radical as people seem to think.  There was a recent piece which argued the radicals are the GOP and that her suggested polices would take America back to more sane taxation policies the US had before it was hijacked by the radical right.

I really don't understand you and others here dismissing her so easily.
I think it's mainly two parts.  The hard right is just totally deranged when it comes to anything involving her.  The moderates without a cause are often susceptible to go down the rabbit hole halfway, and being too busy admiring their rationality to realize that they're still in the rabbit hole.

DGuller

No, they're not equal, in a way that a correlation coefficient of 0.99 is technically not equal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2019, 09:37:43 PM
No, they're not equal, in a way that a correlation coefficient of 0.99 is technically not equal.

Unless you're "anti-Israel" to mean something pretty drastic, that's codswallop.