News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: frunk on November 30, 2019, 08:47:39 PM
I wouldn't normally post a Rolling Stone Article, but, well, it's worth a read.  It's based on a two year study of online propaganda that is unfortunately paywalled.

Thanks Frunk, very interesting article.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

It's simply bizzare when the right take this "you just hate anyone who doesn't agree with you" line.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also:

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2018/12/31/abortion-leading-cause-of-death-in-2018-with-41-million-killed/?fbclid=IwAR24kndNwXH9OpUhjuIllUyX0qmpy2XsivGqxoWZfhnWLzNbyiTW_1cCjog

QuoteAbortion Leading Cause of Death in 2018 with 41 Million Killed

Abortion was the number one cause of death worldwide in 2018, with more than 41 million children killed before birth, Worldometers reports.

As of December 31, 2018, there have been some 41.9 million abortions performed in the course of the year, Worldometers revealed. By contrast, 8.2 million people died from cancer in 2018, 5 million from smoking, and 1.7 million died of HIV/AIDS.

Worldometers — voted one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association (ALA) — keeps a running tally through the year of major world statistics, including population, births, deaths, automobiles produced, books published, and CO2 emissions.

It also records the total number of abortions in the world, based on the latest statistics on abortions published by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Globally, just under a quarter of all pregnancies (23 percent) were ended by abortion in 2018, and for every 33 live births, ten infants were aborted.

There were more deaths from abortion in 2018 than all deaths from cancer, malaria, HIV/AIDS, smoking, alcohol, and traffic accidents combined.

The staggering number of deaths from abortion, in fact, has led certain observers to call abortion "the social justice cause of our time," since judging from the sheer magnitude of the problem other human rights issues pale in comparison.

The year 2018 also saw the repeal of Ireland's Eighth Amendment, one of the last laws recognizing and protecting the right to life of unborn children.

Last week, the UK Department of Health revealed that in 2017 — the last year for which it has revised abortion statistics — the number of UK abortions hit a 10-year high.

The figures were released just before the Christian celebration of the Feast of the Holy Innocents on December 28, commemorating the decree by King Herod that all male children in Israel under the age of two were to be killed.

The annual March for Life in the United States will take place in Washington, D.C., on January 18, 2019 with the theme "Unique from Day One."

The stated purpose of the march is to end abortion by "uniting, educating, and mobilizing pro-life people in the public square."

The annual march commemorates the January 22, 1973 Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that invalidated 50 state laws and made abortion legal and available on demand throughout the United States.

Yes, my sister shared a Breitbart link. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

23%...10/.23 = 43.5. So 33 live births. 10 are aborted. So 0.5/43.5 = 1%. Wow so 99% of pregnancies result in either a live birth or an abortion? Just over 1% total out of all pregnancies in the entire world result in a miscarriage or some other outcome besides a live birth or abortion? I do not believe that statistic. It seems like they are just comparing total births vs total abortions and ignoring every other outcome and just not counting them as a pregnancy in order to over-inflate abortion rates.

Wiki claims that 30% - 50% of all fertilizations result in a miscarriage of some sort (usually before the woman knows she is pregnant). So it is possible that therefore it is actually miscarriage that is the the social justice cause of our time and which is actually the leading cause of death.

But yes I realize it is Breitbart.

But, in any case, if they have no other ideas besides using the legal system they are not really moving the ball down the field much in preventing abortion. Medical research giving people more control over when they become pregnant is probably the only real solution if you find abortion a giant problem that must be ended.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2019, 01:32:52 AM

His mailman and barber better be wary!

I am not a professional pilot but given the choice between huge fuckup with a small plane versus unnecessarily complicated murder plot of some nobody I think the prior is more likely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2019, 01:34:43 AM
Also:

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2018/12/31/abortion-leading-cause-of-death-in-2018-with-41-million-killed/?fbclid=IwAR24kndNwXH9OpUhjuIllUyX0qmpy2XsivGqxoWZfhnWLzNbyiTW_1cCjog

QuoteAbortion Leading Cause of Death in 2018 with 41 Million Killed

Abortion was the number one cause of death worldwide in 2018, with more than 41 million children killed before birth, Worldometers reports.

As of December 31, 2018, there have been some 41.9 million abortions performed in the course of the year, Worldometers revealed. By contrast, 8.2 million people died from cancer in 2018, 5 million from smoking, and 1.7 million died of HIV/AIDS.

Worldometers — voted one of the best free reference websites by the American Library Association (ALA) — keeps a running tally through the year of major world statistics, including population, births, deaths, automobiles produced, books published, and CO2 emissions.

It also records the total number of abortions in the world, based on the latest statistics on abortions published by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Globally, just under a quarter of all pregnancies (23 percent) were ended by abortion in 2018, and for every 33 live births, ten infants were aborted.

There were more deaths from abortion in 2018 than all deaths from cancer, malaria, HIV/AIDS, smoking, alcohol, and traffic accidents combined.

The staggering number of deaths from abortion, in fact, has led certain observers to call abortion "the social justice cause of our time," since judging from the sheer magnitude of the problem other human rights issues pale in comparison.

The year 2018 also saw the repeal of Ireland's Eighth Amendment, one of the last laws recognizing and protecting the right to life of unborn children.

Last week, the UK Department of Health revealed that in 2017 — the last year for which it has revised abortion statistics — the number of UK abortions hit a 10-year high.

The figures were released just before the Christian celebration of the Feast of the Holy Innocents on December 28, commemorating the decree by King Herod that all male children in Israel under the age of two were to be killed.

The annual March for Life in the United States will take place in Washington, D.C., on January 18, 2019 with the theme "Unique from Day One."

The stated purpose of the march is to end abortion by "uniting, educating, and mobilizing pro-life people in the public square."

The annual march commemorates the January 22, 1973 Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that invalidated 50 state laws and made abortion legal and available on demand throughout the United States.

Yes, my sister shared a Breitbart link. :bleeding:

Smoking is a cause of death now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

Who the fuck laughs at children for believing in Santa?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Eddie Teach

I only laugh at children who cry when I steal their candy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

I think it reflects the social conservative mindset that progressives shit endlessly on their traditions, and kids believing in  Santa is a tradition, ergo they probably shit on kids believing in Santa too. Of course that's nonsense,  but that's my theory for that weird meme.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson