News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

You know for what it is worth CC, I haven't seen a single Green Party sign, a single Green Party flyer, or even a single Green Party Facebook ad so far.  In Edmonton they're going to come in a distant fourth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 21, 2019, 10:53:51 AM
Deosn't stop them from using them as their preferred mode of communication and debate.

yes, and the most pathetic thing about Republicans is that they think those pathetic "memes" and trolls are clever.  Apparently, every Republican who was smart enough to tell the rest how stupid they look has left the movement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2019, 02:02:46 PM
What did you do when we took your bump stocks tough guy?

While bump stocks are illegal, I don't think there's been any concerted effort to "take them away".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 02:01:53 PM
You know for what it is worth CC, I haven't seen a single Green Party sign, a single Green Party flyer, or even a single Green Party Facebook ad so far.  In Edmonton they're going to come in a distant fourth.

You are right.  Best to vote for one of the two parties that doesn't want to address the issue.

/hope your sarcasm meter is working properly.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 12:45:20 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:31:05 AM
Not Facebook, but my brother informed me today that if Trudeau wins this election Western Canada will likely secede because they can't survive another 4 years of Trudeau. Also the Green and NDP parties have vowed to utterly destroy Alberta.

Alberta is not Western Canada.....
Are you sure? After all, Alberta bankrolls the rest of the country.

GDP by province in 2018 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

Alberta: 335 Billion
Ontario: 728 Billion
Quebec: 365 Billion
BC: 246 Billion

... Albertains have odd notions. Alberta is an important province but it does not bankroll the rest of the country; economically, it is less than half the size of Ontario and is smaller than Quebec as well. It is economically larger than BC though!

Although Alberta contains only 11.6% of Canada's population, we comprise 17.3% of our GDP.  The "bankrolls Canada" notion is usually meant in terms of equalization payments.  The only provinces that don't receive equalization are BC, Alberta, Sask and Newfoundland.  But because those provinces have much smaller per-capita GDP (and other than BC, are much smaller in population) that means that Alberta is a huge massive contributor to equalization payments across Canada.

Uh, not so - Ontario will receive zero equalization dollars for the 2019-2020 period. 

https://www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/mtp-eng.asp

Does that mean that Ontario now "bankrolls Canada"?  :lol:

Fact is Ontario underwent a recession, so it temporarily dipped into "have not" status. Before that, it was a huge net contributor (and presumably will be so now).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2019, 02:05:21 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 21, 2019, 10:53:51 AM
Deosn't stop them from using them as their preferred mode of communication and debate.

yes, and the most pathetic thing about Republicans is that they think those pathetic "memes" and trolls are clever.  Apparently, every Republican who was smart enough to tell the rest how stupid they look has left the movement.
They were kicked out.  No Xtreme enough.
PDH!

crazy canuck

@ Malthus, facts always get in the way of a good Albertan separatist rant.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 12:45:20 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:31:05 AM
Not Facebook, but my brother informed me today that if Trudeau wins this election Western Canada will likely secede because they can't survive another 4 years of Trudeau. Also the Green and NDP parties have vowed to utterly destroy Alberta.

Alberta is not Western Canada.....
Are you sure? After all, Alberta bankrolls the rest of the country.

GDP by province in 2018 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

Alberta: 335 Billion
Ontario: 728 Billion
Quebec: 365 Billion
BC: 246 Billion

... Albertains have odd notions. Alberta is an important province but it does not bankroll the rest of the country; economically, it is less than half the size of Ontario and is smaller than Quebec as well. It is economically larger than BC though!

Although Alberta contains only 11.6% of Canada's population, we comprise 17.3% of our GDP.  The "bankrolls Canada" notion is usually meant in terms of equalization payments.  The only provinces that don't receive equalization are BC, Alberta, Sask and Newfoundland.  But because those provinces have much smaller per-capita GDP (and other than BC, are much smaller in population) that means that Alberta is a huge massive contributor to equalization payments across Canada.

Uh, not so - Ontario will receive zero equalization dollars for the 2019-2020 period. 

https://www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/mtp-eng.asp

Does that mean that Ontario now "bankrolls Canada"?  :lol:

Fact is Ontario underwent a recession, so it temporarily dipped into "have not" status. Before that, it was a huge net contributor (and presumably will be so now).

I don't think Ontario was in a recession for the last 9 years that is as far back as this chart goes when Ontario was receiving equalization.

We'll see what the future holds.  Certainly at one point Ontario did "bankroll Canada", but that was a long time ago.

You know, you'll never really see me bang the drum on equalization.  It doesn't actually transfer dollars from my pocket to Quebec or wherever.  There needs to be some form of financial equalization in order to have a country.  And it'll always be an easy ploy for politicians from here to gin up resentment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 02:14:45 PM
While bump stocks are illegal, I don't think there's been any concerted effort to "take them away".

Making it illegal to possess one is very much the same as taking them away.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 02:35:08 PM
I don't think Ontario was in a recession for the last 9 years that is as far back as this chart goes when Ontario was receiving equalization.

We'll see what the future holds.  Certainly at one point Ontario did "bankroll Canada", but that was a long time ago.

You know, you'll never really see me bang the drum on equalization.  It doesn't actually transfer dollars from my pocket to Quebec or wherever.  There needs to be some form of financial equalization in order to have a country.  And it'll always be an easy ploy for politicians from here to gin up resentment.

We will indeed see what the future holds - my guess is that Alberta's economy, if it continues to rely so heavily on oil extraction, is in for some future trouble. And not because of Ottawa's interference. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 02:50:14 PM
We will indeed see what the future holds - my guess is that Alberta's economy, if it continues to rely so heavily on oil extraction, is in for some future trouble. And not because of Ottawa's interference.

Well the salad days when companies were announcing multi-billion dollar oil sands projects every few weeks are long gone, but the world isn't going to stop using petroleum even as we transition to more green energy.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2019, 01:59:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2019, 12:42:40 PM

Hopefully, it's a troll... but with vegans, you never know...

Isn't Adderall methamphetamine based?
amphetamine, from what I read.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 01:51:54 PM
Just make sure you raise them to be climate deniers/delayers like the rest of your party  :)
Aren't you going a tad too far, here?  Have an argument with anyone you want, but let's leave our families out of this, right?  Or do you want people to ask if you raised your sons to be as morally and ethically corrupt as the party you voted for?  It's Languish, but still, let's keep it civil for non members.

Besides, even if Canada was to reach 0 emissions by 2050, all things being equal, it wouldn't change a thing in the State of the world.  We have to do it because we need to do our part, but without China, India and the US moving toward 0 emissions, we won't achieve anything meaningful to limit global warming.

And right now, these countries aren't pulling their weight, they're not doing enough, globally.  I know China is investing a lot in clean energies, domestically, but they're a major player in the internation coal industry.

We all know where the US stands.

India does not seem incline to move toward anything meaningful under the current government.

Brazil, did I say Brazil?  Oh, you know, that country where there used to be a lot of forests?  Yeah, used to.

Africa has the same problem as Brazil, lots of countries who prefer burning trees to raise cattle or exploit other natural resoures than planting them.

And then we have poaching of endangered species.  Everywhere in the world.  Or destruction of their habitat (see deforestation above).

Climate warming in one issue, a huge issue, but not all that matters, and it does not reste solely in the hands of Canadians.

If foreigners stop buying Canadian oil, Alberta will have to clean up its act.  Or find alternatives.  But as long as their is demand, why would somebody stop selling it?

the NDP has proposed multiple times to legalize all drugs.  Even if they're bad for your health.  What is so different with other bad things that are killing us, destroying us?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.