News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 11:28:14 AM
By the way didn't your family post something recently about how you should stop whining about low wage labor and go out and develop skills and now they are saying unskilled labor is way superior to people who have skills?

There's a lot of things wrong with that meme.

First of all potholes are most significantly a problem in areas with regular freeze-thaw cycles.  That's not typically an issue in a Mediterranean climate like Italy.  Second of course lots of people notes the Romans did indeed have skilled engineers.  Third lots of roman roads have not survived.  And fourth the Romans had a nifty labour-saving device called slaves that made a lot of things economical.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Many hicks would love to pay for hand crafted roads.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on October 11, 2019, 11:43:41 AM
Many hicks would love to pay for hand crafted roads.

I think they meant to suggest that the military should be used to build roads not walls?

Razgovory

I think the Roman military built roads.  Modern asphalt roads need to be able to withstand much heavier traffic by vehicles that are much heavier than wooden wagons.  Concrete road lasts longer, but isn't as economical.  The examples of Roman roads is so poorly informed it's difficult to answer.

Who has something against engineers?  I've never heard of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

I think the idea is that experts are worthless and unskilled average joes know better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 12:57:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2019, 12:56:59 PM
People who work with engineers.

Nonsense. We are lovely.

:lol:

Book smart people that have no street smart sense. Sure. Lovely.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2019, 12:58:25 PM

Nonsense. Civil Engineers have plenty of street smart sense.

Eddie Teach

"Street smarts" are for homeless drug addicts. No thanks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PRC

I have heard one lawyer and one accountant both say "Engineers are the worst" in the last week.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 12:57:32 PM
I think the idea is that experts are worthless and unskilled average joes know better.

That is an annoying trend in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2019, 12:58:25 PM

Nonsense. Civil Engineers have plenty of street smart sense.

:D

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 12:57:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 11, 2019, 12:56:59 PM
People who work with engineers.

Nonsense. We are lovely.
:yes:

Quote from: PRC on October 11, 2019, 06:51:44 PM
I have heard one lawyer and one accountant both say "Engineers are the worst" in the last week.

Meh. Nobody likes lawyers. Accountants are those annoying individuals that make you glue and send to Slovakia your expense tickets every time you travel, when they could simply check the fucking corporate credit card logs. :bash:

As for whom engineers hate, I think this sketch sums it up rather well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2019, 11:21:22 AM
Really? Hatred for engineers? What did we do to offend your family?

Anyway you might tell them that the Romans had many great engineers who trained for many years to develop their skills. So their basic point is a lie.
I do wonder how they constructed their roads, though.  How did they compact the gravel/sand so it would not collapse under the weight of chariots?  Also, for anyone who has ever seen a roman road, they had nice chariots wheel tracks on them that developped over time ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.