News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2019, 11:57:50 AM
Pretty sure that is unconstitutional and North Carolina did not such thing. Doing something that would otherwise be legal is now illegal if you do it because of your religion?

I thought they wanted more God in society.

Not that God.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 21, 2019, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2019, 11:57:50 AM
Pretty sure that is unconstitutional and North Carolina did not such thing. Doing something that would otherwise be legal is now illegal if you do it because of your religion?

I thought they wanted more God in society.

Eh, not even sure what they mean. Certainly, the attempt to *enforce* sharia law would be illegal.

Yeah. Absolutely.

But surely that also would be unconstitutional by federal law already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I believe that there are jurisdictions where one can engage in legally binding arbitration where the arbiters use Sharia principles to decide the case, should both sides agree to this.  Perhaps this weird claim about North Carolina had something to do with that.  Or, maybe, it's just some stupid made-up shit to go along with all the other stupid made-up shit the American right masturbates to these days.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2019, 07:01:40 PM
I believe that there are jurisdictions where one can engage in legally binding arbitration where the arbiters use Sharia principles to decide the case, should both sides agree to this.  Perhaps this weird claim about North Carolina had something to do with that. 
bingo!  it dates from 6 years ago, though.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/north-carolina-sharia/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

So, you're voluntary arbitration? That don't impress me much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2019, 06:50:52 AM

I'm not sure that one belongs here. This is a sentiment that my father has expressed as he otherwise feel like we are qualifying his American status. He'd much rather be called black.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Yeah, it does sound to me like a fair point.

Josquius

QuoteI'm not sure that one belongs here. This is a sentiment that my father has expressed as he otherwise feel like we are qualifying his American status. He'd much rather be called black.
The African American thing always seemed weird to me.
Especially given the stories I've heard of actual African immigrants not being included under it.

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2019, 08:23:48 AM
QuoteOH HELL NO
Like Page
without the cash register telling them how much.

...huh?
Wasn't it the old lady in the fictional story that said they didn't have the green thing?
I'm not getting this one at all.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 11, 2019, 01:06:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2019, 12:36:58 AM
Yeah well anytime they feel like they have something on one of them, they can ask our beloved President to prosecute.

I don't think the President of UT has that power.
President of Languish then?
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2019, 07:00:57 AM
I'm not sure that one belongs here. This is a sentiment that my father has expressed as he otherwise feel like we are qualifying his American status. He'd much rather be called black.

Yeah I never understood why "African-American" was used than just saying "Black"

Besides there was a time when you knew exactly who that term referred to, but now we have so many immigrants from Africa that it gets confusing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 23, 2019, 11:45:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 11, 2019, 01:06:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2019, 12:36:58 AM
Yeah well anytime they feel like they have something on one of them, they can ask our beloved President to prosecute.

I don't think the President of UT has that power.
President of Languish then?

You rang?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2019, 11:53:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2019, 07:00:57 AM

Yeah I never understood why "African-American" was used than just saying "Black"

Besides there was a time when you knew exactly who that term referred to, but now we have so many immigrants from Africa that it gets confusing.

Well, actually, that's the point--it's used to distinguish black Americans from, say, Nigerians or Ugandans.  Sort of like "Irish-American" distinguishes Americans with Irish ancestors from people in Ireland.

Also, I'm not sure when the term "African-American" came into use, but I think it might have dated back to a time when calling someone "black" was almost as rude as calling them the n-word.

I can certainly see garbon's father's point.