News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

When I say that "Christian" is becoming an ethnic category it doesn't really have much to do with actual Christianity or it's practitioners.  Latinos are generally not welcome despite being mostly christian and churches that offer the ancient christian tradition of sanctuary are met with extreme hostility.  The boundaries of this new category are still very fuzzy, but I think the most important factor is not being a Muslim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2019, 02:53:49 PM
When I say that "Christian" is becoming an ethnic category it doesn't really have much to do with actual Christianity or it's practitioners.  Latinos are generally not welcome despite being mostly christian and churches that offer the ancient christian tradition of sanctuary are met with extreme hostility.  The boundaries of this new category are still very fuzzy, but I think the most important factor is not being a Muslim.

Does islamophobia really need an ethnic classification?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

We really need to get over treating religions like ethnicities (though still recognizing that some religions/ethnicities tend to be homogenous), and more like what they are closer to...that being more akin to branches of philosophy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2019, 12:40:01 PM
To a lot of people, he does though.

I can't speak to what those people are thinking, only that it removes all meaning from the concept to apply it to Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2019, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2019, 12:40:01 PM
To a lot of people, he does though.

I can't speak to what those people are thinking, only that it removes all meaning from the concept to apply it to Trump.

Those people are thinking that they don't want to deal with the cognitive dissonance between what they wish Trump was and what he is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

They know he's no angel.  What they usually say is "Trump isn't perfect, but at least he's..." followed by something he's doing to piss off the cultural left.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2019, 03:40:16 PM
They know he's no angel.  What they usually say is "Trump isn't perfect, but at least he's..." followed by something he's doing to piss off the cultural left.

Sorta like what people said about Stalin in WW2?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2019, 03:40:16 PM

But that is essentially saying that "cultural Christianity" = "cultural right" or at least "not cultural left," which would drain all independent meaning of the phrase.

I do think that America can be said to be a Christian nation in a cultural sense that is distinct from the right-left political tribes. Things like symbolism or the way that people interact with strangers, or ways of expressing ideas or practicing or imaging community life.  Ideas and practices about charity, about family, and about expression of one's inner or spiritual life.  Even the way people talk and express themselves.  These Christianized ideas, values, concept, symbols cross over and through political life and partisan boundaries, even as they influence them to some extent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2019, 11:46:18 AM
You don't have to like Christianity, and certainly not believe in or practice Christianity, to be culturally influenced by it.

Sure, but would you identify yourself as "culturally Christian"?  I sure wouldn't;  I'd identify myself religiously as Christian, but culturally as American (and ethnically as either "white" or "Irish-American").

Tonitrus

In my case, I would certainly not qualify as Christian in any religious sense, and no one in my family goes to church...but we would still get together on the typical Christian holidays (Xmas, Easter, etc.), and my family heritage definitely comes from there.  That may be what is meant by "culturally Christian".   

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2019, 02:55:28 PM

You wouldn't think so, but here we are.  As we move deeper into the mire of identity politics ethnicity, religion, and political beliefs are sort of merging.  Since we are talking about reactionaries in this case, they are defined more by what they oppose than what they support.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2019, 02:55:28 PM

Maybe not specifically an ethnic classification, but it's always helpful to have a euphemism of some kind.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2019, 09:28:54 AM
Was western culture destroyed a few decades ago?

:huh:

Why would western culture be destroyed if it is not synonymous with Christian culture?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas