News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2019, 11:18:00 AM
That was also the era of Marx and Engels. We may not be looking at generic left wing rot: this may be a genuine communist plot...

"The bourgeoisie, in truth, is bound to fear the stupidity of the masses so long as they remain conservative, and the insight of the masses as soon as they become revolutionary. Fear defines the outlook of the bourgeoisie to the masses, and as such the various prejudices of the bourgeoisie should be defined as phobias, for that is what they truly are." - Karl Marx

Dear god it is true...

Good one!  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2019, 10:38:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2019, 04:47:33 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2019, 04:35:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2019, 06:04:20 PM
They specifically target a lot of things and a lot of people.  Should we also start recognizing Yazidiphobia, aid worker phobia, journalistphobia, subway rider phobia, ancient Roman ruin phobia, etc., etc., etc?

We should start by not using -phobia for hatred since phobia means fear.  :nerd: Mis(o) or anti- work fine.

If only languages could grow and change over time. :hmm:

Well I do think if you are going to use "phobia" the idea is there is an irrational reaction going on. So there is a phobic type reaction going on, or at least that is the implication and why "homophobia" was used for example.

I would rather we go that way then some kind of anti-intellectual take like the one you made. Languages and word use do matter and are worth discussing.

It's anti-intellectual to note that meanings change over time? Duque was being a stick in the mud over a meaning that had been adopted long ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

@Duque

You're preaching to the choir.  I was one of those fighting the valiant rearguard action against the overgeneralization of homophobia.  But unfortunately that ship has already sailed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2019, 01:58:11 PM
@Duque

You're preaching to the choir.  I was one of those fighting the valiant rearguard action against the overgeneralization of homophobia.  But unfortunately that ship has already sailed.

That phrase means the audience is in agreement.  In this case he is preaching to some crank well outside the Church - probably blocking traffic.

Razgovory

In the English language "hydrophobia" can refer to rabies.   Instead of "-phobes" we could just say bigots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2019, 02:12:06 PM
@Duque

That phrase means the audience is in agreement.  In this case he is preaching to some crank well outside the Church - probably blocking traffic.

But is he blocking traffic for the environment? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2019, 04:07:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2019, 02:12:06 PM
@Duque

But is he blocking traffic for the environment? :hmm:

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

@Duque

Point taken. I still don't like the misuse. However, I still believe the jury is still out in French or in Portuguese, for that matter.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2019, 03:27:15 PM
In the English language "hydrophobia" can refer to rabies.   Instead of "-phobes" we could just say bigots.

I knew that hydrophobia is a symptom of rabies, but I'd never heard it used to mean rabies.  Buy I checked, and dictionary.com agrees with you.  In fact, it lists "rabies" as the first definition of hydrophobia.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I mean...it would be great if they were right about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

If the Left had any seriousness about wanting tackle climate change, they would start denying it is happening.. It would immediately launch the radical right on an anti-climate change crusade. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2019, 07:31:07 AM
If the Left had any seriousness about wanting tackle climate change, they would start denying it is happening.. It would immediately launch the radical right on an anti-climate change crusade. :P

:lol: