Author Topic: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families  (Read 339705 times)

Richard Hakluyt

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
Re: Facebook Follies of Friends and Families
« Reply #6930 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:59 am »
Anecdotally I can tell you that not one of them mentions the need for work life balance.   I often find myself telling them to leave the office at the end of my work day, not work weekends, and I find them coming in earlier than me.  Something no Millennial in my office has ever done.  So I am hopeful that is the case.

That is encouraging. 

No, it's depressing.

We have to remember the untold millions whose final words were ".....if only I'd spent more time in the office"  :P

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #6931 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:33 am »
Or better yet, if only I had a good job - will that be a grande?

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #6932 on: April 05, 2019, 09:06:25 am »

I have to say that even with the Millennial generational reputation I am kind of impressed some hot shot lawyers would ever discuss something like "work-life balance".
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Malthus

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #6933 on: April 05, 2019, 09:20:13 am »

I have to say that even with the Millennial generational reputation I am kind of impressed some hot shot lawyers would ever discuss something like "work-life balance".

It's a real problem, leading to all sorts of structural problems.

To give but one example, the whole gender balance thing. Incoming associates are at par (equal numbers of men and women), but not at the partner level. A big part of the problem is that fewer women are willing to put up with a profession with no balance - many want to have children at some point, and as a generality, women are on average more invested than men in the day-to-day lives of young children.  So female associates tend, all else being equal, to be more likely to go into less time-demanding legal fields if they have kids - they work in-house for corporations or for the government.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #6934 on: April 05, 2019, 09:23:51 am »

Your assumptions are interesting. 

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #6935 on: April 19, 2019, 06:58:02 am »
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Maladict

• Naked Mole Rat
« Reply #6936 on: April 19, 2019, 07:04:22 am »

Intelligent design?

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #6937 on: April 19, 2019, 09:49:43 am »
God's design to test their faith?
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #6938 on: April 21, 2019, 04:41:53 am »
I guess Conchita Wurst above here has one point: if this horrible Sri Lanka attack was done in the developed world against a Muslim minority, "Islamophobia" would be blamed. But in this case there will be no mention of "Christanophobia".

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #6939 on: April 21, 2019, 02:12:53 pm »
I guess Conchita Wurst above here has one point: if this horrible Sri Lanka attack was done in the developed world against a Muslim minority, "Islamophobia" would be blamed. But in this case there will be no mention of "Christanophobia".

It's pretty much BS.  Crazy Australian guy specifically targeted Muslims.  Jihadis happily kill any Westerner, regardless of religion.  They didn't ask the non-Christians to leave the Madrid subway or the World Trade Center before blowing them up,
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
  • Debout, les damnés de la Terre...
« Reply #6940 on: April 21, 2019, 03:34:46 pm »
They specifically targeted churches, Yi.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #6941 on: April 21, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »
They specifically target a lot of things and a lot of people.  Should we also start recognizing Yazidiphobia, aid worker phobia, journalistphobia, subway rider phobia, ancient Roman ruin phobia, etc., etc., etc?
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #6942 on: April 21, 2019, 07:19:43 pm »
They specifically target a lot of things and a lot of people.  Should we also start recognizing Yazidiphobia, aid worker phobia, journalistphobia, subway rider phobia, ancient Roman ruin phobia, etc., etc., etc?

I think we could probably do something with the hatred of the Yazidis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

• Furry
« Reply #6943 on: April 21, 2019, 08:22:12 pm »
Oh there are plenty of people who only get worked up about atrocities that target christians. It helps them maintain their martyr complexes.

Duque de Bragança

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
« Reply #6944 on: April 22, 2019, 04:35:15 am »

We should start by not using -phobia for hatred since phobia means fear.  :nerd: Mis(o) or anti- work fine.