News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

I don't think I subscribe to any of AOC's politics but I think she is a nice young woman with a lot of potential, who will grow into a powerful leader for the Democrats. She's personable, quick, reasonably smart, and courageous. Demonizing her is stupid.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2019, 12:43:06 PM
The early 20 somethings in my office constantly make the point that they are not. I realized someone has determined that they are, but they want to put some distance between themselves and what they view as the true millennials.

Don't blame them one bit.  Generation Z hopefully will be a correction against the millennials, as Gen X was against the Boomers.

Anecdotally I can tell you that not one of them mentions the need for work life balance.   I often find myself telling them to leave the office at the end of my work day, not work weekends, and I find them coming in earlier than me.  Something no Millennial in my office has ever done.  So I am hopeful that is the case.

My pet theory is that the Millennials came of age during the economic good times leading up to the Great Recession while the Zers came of age during the after affects of the Great Recession causing a very different set of expectations.

Josquius

Someone in their early 20s possibly isn't a millenial.
The oldest millenials were born in the early 90s.

Digital natives suck. They've not had to put up with half the shit millenials have.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It's 1982 to 1999.

I wonder what we call the babies of 2018, 2019 & on.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 04, 2019, 02:30:21 PM
I don't think I subscribe to any of AOC's politics but I think she is a nice young woman with a lot of potential, who will grow into a powerful leader for the Democrats. She's personable, quick, reasonably smart, and courageous. Demonizing her is stupid.

Well it is obviously being done as a strategy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2019, 02:40:53 PM
Anecdotally I can tell you that not one of them mentions the need for work life balance.   I often find myself telling them to leave the office at the end of my work day, not work weekends, and I find them coming in earlier than me.  Something no Millennial in my office has ever done.  So I am hopeful that is the case.

That is encouraging. 

QuoteMy pet theory is that the Millennials came of age during the economic good times leading up to the Great Recession while the Zers came of age during the after affects of the Great Recession causing a very different set of expectations.

I think there's something to that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2019, 02:19:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2019, 02:12:56 PM
She seemed capable enough in the hearings and had more decorum than Louis Gohmert.

Yeah but Louis Gohmert might be the stupidest man in Texas.

So that's why you guys keep sending him to Washington.  To keep him out of Texas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2019, 03:40:29 PM
She seemed capable enough in the hearings and had more decorum than Louis Gohmert.

So that's why you guys keep sending him to Washington.  To keep him out of Texas.

We don't send our best and brightest into politics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2019, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2019, 03:40:29 PM

We don't send our best and brightest into politics.

Texas was home to two (arguably three) Presidents! :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2019, 04:03:32 PM
Texas was home to two (arguably three) Presidents! :o

Yes and I freaking tried to warn people before the second (arguably third) one. "He was the governor of Texas, so surely he must be a brilliant and accomplished man!" Yeah....no. If you want the brilliant leaders from Texas you need to look at the private sector. Like Ross Per...ok bad example.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2019, 12:44:50 PM
The term "millenials" always slightly irked me, as it seemed they were referring to the wrong generation.  Millenials should be those born in the new millenium - so they're just starting to become adults now.

Well stop being confused. Millenials, like myself, were coming of age around the millenia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2019, 02:40:53 PM

That is encouraging. 

No, it's depressing.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2019, 04:36:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2019, 12:44:50 PM
The term "millenials" always slightly irked me, as it seemed they were referring to the wrong generation.  Millenials should be those born in the new millenium - so they're just starting to become adults now.

Well stop being confused. Millenials, like myself, were coming of age around the millenia.

I don't think there's many around today from 1000.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Theory:
Older generations use social media mostly spread conspiracy theories and chain letters in garish image macro form; very few are extremely online.

Millennials are young enough to have their lives consumed by social media, but are old enough to remember the Time Before. This causes profound psychological distress.

Zoomers know no other existence and are thus prepared to thrive in the world as it is.

Alternative theory:
Millennials are starting to become established and have kids, while Zoomers are working themselves to the bone to get their foot in the door.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

QuoteMillennials are young enough to have their lives consumed by social media, but are old enough to remember the Time Before. This causes profound psychological distress.

Zoomers know no other existence and are thus prepared to thrive in the world as it is.

This is probably correct.