And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 10:11:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2019, 10:54:44 PM
I don't think being a Freshman Congresswoman is a particularly powerful position.

That is the point.  She has accomplished a lot despite her newly elected status.

A very subjective opinion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

And very hard to measure, as her accomplishments are mainly through influence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I don't think being a Freshman Congresswoman is a particularly powerful position.

But she really freaks me out!!  :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2019, 10:14:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 10:11:28 AM

That is the point.  She has accomplished a lot despite her newly elected status.

A very subjective opinion.

Not really.  As just one objective measure, pick up each edition of the Economist since she was elected and you will read something about her.  A person would have to have a serious axe to grind to ignore that kind of impact from someone new to political office.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2019, 12:43:28 PM
Not really.  As just one objective measure, pick up each edition of the Economist since she was elected and you will read something about her.  A person would have to have a serious axe to grind to ignore that kind of impact from someone new to political office.

I mean she is radical and is skillful at using social media so she is great at getting attention. She is making political waves. Now I think that is also because she is the Republicans dream, they are working very hard to promote her as the leader of all Democrats. But she certainly has a certain skill as well.

But I tend to judge accomplishments from what she has done as an elected official.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2019, 12:47:07 PM

I mean she is radical and is skillful at using social media so she is great at getting attention. She is making political waves. Now I think that is also because she is the Republicans dream, they are working very hard to promote her as the leader of all Democrats. But she certainly has a certain skill as well.

But I tend to judge accomplishments from what she has done as an elected official.

Yeah, getting talked about well the Kardashians do that.

I'm not sure how great  (if you want to give it to her and not Warren /Bernie) it is that the Dems are cleaving to the left in current primary chatter.

Policy wise it seems like the first moves she tried to make Pelosi stomped on. Green New Deal appears to be dead?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

She is also getting a lot of support for her ideas from places like the Economist, which grudgingly admits she makes good points about taxation policy and the New York Times which regularly runs editorials pointing out that she has done her homework on this issues and that her ideas are not as radical as people seem to think.  There was a recent piece which argued the radicals are the GOP and that her suggested polices would take America back to more sane taxation policies the US had before it was hijacked by the radical right.

I really don't understand you and others here dismissing her so easily.

dps

I agree with Valmy and garbon.  The new Congress so far hasn't accomplished jack, so you can't really credit any individual member for accomplishing anything.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2019, 01:37:08 PM

Yeah, getting talked about well the Kardashians do that.

That is an absurd comparison.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2019, 01:54:58 PM
I agree with Valmy and garbon.  The new Congress so far hasn't accomplished jack, so you can't really credit any individual member for accomplishing anything.

Yeah, it is totally the fault of AOC that your governmental system is so dysfunctional atm.

dps

I don't think our government as a whole is dysfunctional (just the President), but AOC is pretty much an irrelevant part of it being either functional or dysfunctional.

garbon

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2019, 01:58:40 PM
I don't think our government as a whole is dysfunctional (just the President), but AOC is pretty much an irrelevant part of it being either functional or dysfunctional.

It is clear when he starts flailing about that there is no point in continuing the conversation.

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2019, 01:59:58 PM
Quote from: dps on March 12, 2019, 01:58:40 PM

It is clear when he starts flailing about that there is no point in continuing the conversation.

CC or Trump?   :)

Eddie Teach

If he meant Trump, there would never be a conversation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

It is hard to have a conversation when the common ground is so devoid of commonality.  Have a nice day.