News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2019, 10:17:22 AM
All the shit Trump and his supporters do and say have been made okay by this one crazy black guy's fake crime. :)

I don't think anyone is saying that here. 

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2019, 10:17:22 AM
All the shit Trump and his supporters do and say have been made okay by this one crazy black guy's fake crime. :)

Trump or no trump, it's just odd story. he's an actor on a popular tv show. it'd be like one of the kids from stranger things faked his own kidnapping.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2019, 09:33:31 AM
Ellen Page went on Colbert's show and blamed Pence (!) for the attack, to roaring applause.

Well obviously that's wrong.  Trump is to blame, not Pence.  Trump said he'd fix the mental illness problem in America and he didn't. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2019, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 21, 2019, 01:19:05 AM
derspiess desperately wants to talk about this fait divers  :lol:

I had to look that one up :D

I will admit to having been borderline-obsessed with this story. When it broke, it was so full of holes and the details were so far-fetched-- yet you had many people, particularly celebrities and politicians, seize upon it for political gain.  AOC lashed out at any news outlet that dared call it an alleged attack.  Kamala Harris & Cory Booker called it a lynching and used the incident to promote an anti-lynching bill.  Ellen Page went on Colbert's show and blamed Pence (!) for the attack, to roaring applause.  And so on and so on. 

People who dared question any of the details were branded homophobes, racists, or worse yet-- Trump Supporters.  Now unfortunately some of that group are now themselves overplaying their hand and spiking the football. 

And Smollett himself has sort of fascinated me throughout the whole thing.  He goes on tour right after the incident, eats up all this new attention, and proclaims himself Gay Tupac.  When things begin to unravel with the story, he goes on Good Morning America for a softball interview and doubles down on the lie.  He may not be particularly smart, but he's a good enough actor to fool people.

Anyway, Smollett has been arrested.  I'm sure there's more drama to unfold but my interest is now fading a little.  So I'm less desperate to discuss this than I was a few days ago :)

Plenty of politicos on the right also called the attack terrible when it first hit the news, including Trump.

Don't let that get in the way of your schadenfreude though. I'll let you enjoy that one, since I agree that my tribe went a little bit psycho on this story.  :sleep:

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on February 21, 2019, 12:49:15 PM
Plenty of politicos on the right also called the attack terrible when it first hit the news, including Trump.

Sure.  My own first thought upon hearing the first report was how terrible it was.  There's a difference between expressing this reaction and using as political fodder to go after your enemies.

QuoteDon't let that get in the way of your schadenfreude though. I'll let you enjoy that one, since I agree that my tribe went a little bit psycho on this story.  :sleep:

:hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2019, 01:00:49 PM
There's a difference between expressing this reaction and using as political fodder to go after your enemies.

You mean doing just like Fox News, Breitbart, New Republic and other "conservative" media are doing and attacking Democrats? :)

It's so refreshing that there was other medias with good, strong values of honesty and integrity out there, unlike the Failing New York Times. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on February 21, 2019, 11:44:00 PM
There's a difference between expressing this reaction and using as political fodder to go after your enemies.

You mean doing just like Fox News, Breitbart, New Republic and other "conservative" media are doing and attacking Democrats? :)

It's so refreshing that there was other medias with good, strong values of honesty and integrity out there, unlike the Failing New York Times. ;)

Any time Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Breitbart, etc. does something like this they deserve to be called out. But we're losing focus here-- unless you're saying the overreactions in Jussie's favor were somehow justified.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The point is that the propaganda machine of both partisan groups will eagerly scoop up whatever fits their narrative and move on and will never be held accountable when they are wrong. I think we all know the frustration of seeing some article about some outrageous thing that fits our preconceived notions only to be embarrassed when it turns out the whole thing was propaganda. You must always have a healthy and reasonable bit of skepticism at any news story, even (especially?) if it comes from your political camp.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I agree.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2019, 09:03:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 21, 2019, 11:44:00 PM

Any time Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Breitbart, etc. does something like this they deserve to be called out. But we're losing focus here-- unless you're saying the overreactions in Jussie's favor were somehow justified.
I just went and looked at Breitbart before posting this.  They were hysterical about the Smolett thing.  So was Fox News all week long.

I haven't seen any "overreaction" in Jussie's favour outside of Twitter.  I haven't read any editorial of column about it in the NYT, the New Yorker, the Atlantic, Politico or the Washington Post.  The first time I heard about this moron was through local papers once the Chicago police were investigating him.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2019, 10:08:39 AM
I just went and looked at Breitbart before posting this.  They were hysterical about the Smolett thing.  So was Fox News all week long.

I haven't seen any "overreaction" in Jussie's favour outside of Twitter.  I haven't read any editorial of column about it in the NYT, the New Yorker, the Atlantic, Politico or the Washington Post.  The first time I heard about this moron was through local papers once the Chicago police were investigating him.

Those publications are not really the equivalent of Breitbart and Fox News, the left equivalent of them would be the Gawkerverse previously mentioned. The right wing equivalent to the NYT has historically been the WSJ, I don't know if that is still true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2019, 10:20:01 AM

Those publications are not really the equivalent of Breitbart and Fox News, the left equivalent of them would be the Gawkerverse previously mentioned. The right wing equivalent to the NYT has historically been the WSJ, I don't know if that is still true.

That on its own tells you a lot about the two sides though.

Like how in Hungary recently, a leader of the freshly created "foundation" media conglomerate (hosting all pro-government media companies) was swiftly fired. He said in an interview that he himself reads the left-leaning papers for information and leisure because the Right has just no talent. His point of course was that he'd now work on chaning that, but alas he sank his own career with a single sentence.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2019, 10:20:01 AM

still better than comparing with Twitter.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.