And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 10:27:49 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 22, 2019, 10:25:39 AM
Trump will steal the spotlight again soon, just wait. MLK Day was a holiday and well--time for more government shutdown articles.

Maybe we should be grateful for the President keeping the outrage cycle occupied with himself.

I know I am. If he were more competent, he'd be so much more dangerous.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2019, 10:19:15 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on January 22, 2019, 09:56:31 AM
Manufactured culture war clickbait.

Local lefty activists were in a frenzy over this.  And I guess some still are.  They had to cancel classes today at the school due to security concerns.

Looks like the Twitter account that popularized this video was likely "bad actor" trying to sow discord.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/twitter-suspends-account-native-american-maga-teens/index.html

QuoteIn one indicator of the @2020fight's video's virality, multiple newsrooms, including some national American outlets, reached out to the user asking them directly about the video.
McDonagh said he found the account suspicious due to its "high follower count, highly polarized and yet inconsistent political messaging, the unusually high rate of tweets, and the use of someone else's image in the profile photo."
Molly McKew, an information warfare researcher who saw the tweet and shared it herself on Saturday, said she later realized that a network of anonymous accounts were working to amplify the video.

Speaking about the nature of fake accounts on social media, McKew told CNN Business, "This is the new landscape: where bad actors monitor us and appropriate content that fits their needs. They know how to get it where they need to go so it amplifies naturally. And at this point, we are all conditioned to react and engage or deny in specific ways. And we all did."
Twitter's rules forbid users from creating "fake and misleading accounts," and shortly after CNN Business asked Twitter about the account, it was suspended.

America got trolled by Russia again  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

American cultural and social cohesion is so bad right now that anybody can just blast out a cherry-picked video clip from some relatively unimportant non-event and embroil an entire nation in useless and counterproductive tribalistic vitriol against itself.

Lol

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2019, 11:00:38 AM
America got trolled by Russia again  :lol:

Our chattering internet warrior class deserves it. Anything that confirms their biases deceives them. I mean hell I don't think many of them even care if a story is true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2019, 11:07:22 AM
American cultural and social cohesion is so bad right now that anybody can just blast out a cherry-picked video clip from some relatively unimportant non-event and embroil an entire nation in useless and counterproductive tribalistic vitriol against itself.

Lol

Yep. It is embarrassing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Have actual people (beyond those calling in death threats) been that worked up? Obviously, I'm not in America so all I've seen are the torrent of news articles and what I've seen here on Languish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2019, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2019, 04:07:27 PM
I had never heard of Black Israelites either.  I wonder how they get along with Moorish Sovereign Citizens.

I think I might have met some of the guys, or people very similar.  They were like Blacks who had half-converted to Judaism.  They weren't mean or nasty though.

They have some affiliated groups around here who yell and harass people at Metro stations. They're assholes.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2019, 11:10:15 AM
Have actual people (beyond those calling in death threats) been that worked up? Obviously, I'm not in America so all I've seen are the torrent of news articles and what I've seen here on Languish.

Nobody I know. But the very fact there is a series of news articles is kind of ridiculous.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2019, 11:11:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2019, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2019, 04:07:27 PM
I had never heard of Black Israelites either.  I wonder how they get along with Moorish Sovereign Citizens.

I think I might have met some of the guys, or people very similar.  They were like Blacks who had half-converted to Judaism.  They weren't mean or nasty though.

They have some affiliated groups around here who yell and harass people at Metro stations. They're assholes.

They believe that black people are the lost tribes of Israel right? I recall hearing they have some dangerous cultish tendencies but I don't remember any details.

Syt

My niece's husband's Facebook timeline has 6 shared "OMG STOOPID/EVIL LIBZ" stories over the last 24 hours. He's an Army Sergeant, so I guess that technically qualifies as "actual person."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Lol

Well it's not just anybody.  The CNN article pointed out there was a whole network of accounts that helped share and spread the video clip.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 11:17:38 AM

Nobody I know. But the very fact there is a series of news articles is kind of ridiculous.

100% agree.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

It's been a big thing on the obvious websites (the many heads of what was once gawker), and in the news cycle.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2019, 11:28:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 11:17:38 AM

100% agree.

I blame the extreme short attention spans the media is competing for in this age. I mean, they have to compete not just with other news for attention, but with Instagram feeds of half-naked models, friends' Facebook feeds of ideal holidays spent 24/7 smiling and feeling great, etc. Perpetual moral outrage is their only tool. Ain't nobody got time for "alright let's step back a bit and take a deep breath before jumping to conclusions" articles, unless these are in fact setups for counter-rage rage articles.

Grey Fox

Lol

The 2.0 Web was/is a mistake.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.