News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

How are they putting our lives in danger?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2019, 12:01:11 PM

The wall is a matter of life and death. Talk about hysteria.

The reason we don't support the wall is any objective analysis shows it will not work and it will be a waste of money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

The point is that Trump is tougher and more intransigent in dealing with his fellow Americans - who in turn represent the majority of the country - then he is when dealing with America's worst and most dangerous foes.

I get why that puts our lives in danger.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2019, 12:19:09 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2019, 12:01:11 PM

The wall is a matter of life and death. Talk about hysteria.

The reason we don't support the wall is any objective analysis shows it will not work and it will be a waste of money.

Nah, it's mostly symbolic at this point. You don't hold up the entire budget because 5 billion could be spent more efficiently.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

We need to build bridges, not walls.  Walls are racist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2019, 04:07:36 PM

what if you stacked up the bridges to build a wall?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2019, 04:07:36 PM

Pretty sure we have sufficient bridges across the Rio Grande already.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 08, 2019, 03:57:15 PM
Nah, it's mostly symbolic at this point. You don't hold up the entire budget because 5 billion could be spent more efficiently.

Sure. Symbolic that the President cannot just bully the Legislative Branch into doing whatever he wants them to do. He could have just had his own party fund his wall, but he waited until his party lost an election.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2019, 04:29:12 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 08, 2019, 03:57:15 PM

Sure. Symbolic that the President cannot just bully the Legislative Branch into doing whatever he wants them to do. He could have just had his own party fund his wall, but he waited until his party lost an election.

Yep. Pretty clever of them to lose all those elections to Democrats so they can blame the lack of a wall on them. 12D chess!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

The main reason people oppose the wall is because the Big Tool wants it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2019, 04:41:08 PM
The main reason people oppose the wall is because the Big Tool wants it.

That's adequate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017