Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2018, 04:45:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2018, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2018, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2018, 11:18:50 AM
Well look I concede that if compulsory military service was brought back and only affected men then a case could be made that women shouldn't be the ones deciding that using similar logic.

So I guess that is one of those few other situations.

And I disagree with that case of course. I don't think identity politics is the answer.

Yeah, I am not sure what world Valmy inhabits that he thinks a case could be made in that scenario.

Valmy's view appears to be an odd distortion of "no taxation without representation".  That does not mean that the people who do not pay taxes should not be allowed vote.  It just means that people who pay taxes should also be allowed to vote.  His is a basic misunderstanding of liberal democratic values.  But I suppose, given the extent to which those values are being eroded in the US, one can understand his confusion.

Wow, what a dick.

I suppose you wish to make an argument that his statements are in keeping with Liberal Democratic Values, or that Liberal Democratic Values are not being eroded in the US?  Or supply some other explanation for Valmy's odd view on this issue?

Eddie Teach

Valmys view isn't that odd. It's the same that Syt expressed in this thread, and Norgy has done in the past.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 16, 2018, 05:22:34 PM
Valmys view isn't that odd. It's the same that Syt expressed in this thread, and Norgy has done in the past.

I agree and amend my description to read "misguided".

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 16, 2018, 05:22:34 PM

The funny part was is all I was trying to do was just explain the logic behind the perspective, which is what DGuller was asking.

But I guess I am too committed now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I don't fully understand how Valmy is worse than Hitler.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

She doesn't know what Skynet is. So disappointed in that generation. :(
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: 11B4V on October 17, 2018, 10:29:25 PM

How familiar are you with popular movies of the 40s?

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 17, 2018, 10:32:58 PM

Workers in the plant are usually separated from the robots, which operate within a confined area, but in this instance, the victim was working on the robot inside the cage when he was attacked. Another worker who was present during the accident was not harmed, Hillwig said.

Guilty till proven innocent again.

Oexmelin

This is a really though time for young German AI.

Eddie Teach

They had a Terminator movie a couple years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I guess the equivalent to the Terminator would be movies like Dracula or Frankenstein from that era right? I think I would easily get a reference to those films (the films, not the books) even if I have never seen them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

If I, who grew up during the Terminator craze, have not felt the slightest desire to see these movies, I should not expect if from younger people who even lack the pretext of nostalgia.

As an aside, I have resolved not to change my deadpan jokes when I teach, and try to discern what references my students are able to pick up. Simpsons references are inevitably a bust. So are most action hero movie references (all those one-liners...). Still, I surprisingly got a reaction out of references from Back to the Future, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Bill & Ted (!?). There are also *still* 20-something fans of Monty Python. 

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2018, 10:58:44 PM

I guess the equivalent to the Terminator would be movies like Dracula or Frankenstein from that era right? I think I would easily get a reference to those films (the films, not the books) even if I have never seen them.

This is just me, but my dad loves old horror movies, and I would easily catch a reference to an old Dracula or Frankenstein movie.

I do not drink... wine...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.