News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Such an attitude so annoys me.

I have a big respect for anyone content with their lot, even (and especially) housewives and such, assuming they have had alternatives other than being content with it. Being barred from anything else is not the same thing.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 16, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
Those are noble professions :)

They are! It is just some people may want a bit wider of a horizon :P

Anyway my Mom decided nursing was the way to go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

My daughter has at times expressed an interest in engineering and computer programming-- she gets a good scolding when she starts talking crazy like that :angry:

Kidding-- I'll support whatever she wants to do.  I can't say no to her :wub:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I am sure West Virginia has a great ECE program  :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I thank God my kids are not in West Virginia schools. 

FunkMonk

Ah, the golden age of mythical America, where women stayed in the house and got pounded by the milkman while little Timmy secretly burned animals alive in the backyard, and the colored folk weren't admitted to the state university. Nothing bad ever happened in those days. Nothing.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2018, 09:20:12 AM

Well, the word "anorexia" was first coined in 1873 so anyone who remembers a time before that is at least 145 years old.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 16, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
Those are noble professions :)

You could say that about pretty much every profession. :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2018, 10:22:34 AM
My Grandmother sat my mother down and told her that because she was a woman she could only do one of three professional careers, being a teacher or a nurse or doing clerical work.

That was a woman who sure was content with her lot. Yep.

:yes:

My mother in law was told she could only be a housewife.  She left home and became a nurse because in fact that was one of the few professions open to women at the time.  She then obtained her PhD in adult education and became a professor in the faculty of medicine at UBC.  I think she was motivated her whole life to put the lie to what she had been told.

derspiess

derspiess

Honestly I've always been the sort that responds well to negativity.  The positive "you can do anything" fluff never motivated me-- it was the negative stuff that challenged me and made me want to prove people wrong.

crazy canuck

For me it was just hating being poor and having the luck to be given an opportunity to do something about it.  Most of the people I grew up with were not given that same opportunity, mainly because they were not 6'7''

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2018, 05:50:39 PM
Most of the people I grew up with were not given that same opportunity, mainly because they were not 6'7''

Apparently, Canadian law schools have odd admittance criteria.