News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2018, 10:28:09 AM
More to the point they want to inflict misery on others (and obviously themselves but who cares).

part of what makes vaccination so effective is herd immunity.  There are humans who cannot be immunized (babies for example) and so they are not only hurting themselves.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2018, 10:39:53 AM
I use it quite a bit myself.  I have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes, because occasionally there is a political slant. 

True. Especially when they break down opposing candidates claims. Also they have different people doing different claims which can lead to uneven results. I felt like they failed to rip Bernie's crazy shit as thoroughly as I would have liked. But I have my own bias there :P

Still it is a pretty nice resource. I appreciate they at least try to be objective, which is all I can ask.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2018, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2018, 10:28:09 AM
More to the point they want to inflict misery on others (and obviously themselves but who cares).

part of what makes vaccination so effective is herd immunity.  There are humans who cannot be immunized (babies for example) and so they are not only hurting themselves.

This is why it should be illegal to not vaccinate your kids. It's fucking science its not a matter of opinion. We do not allow reckless driving no matter how hot we are for personal liberty. Same should go for being a medieval dimwit.

Valmy

Huh. I thought some countries do require it :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

dps

AFAIK, every state in the US requires it as well, but we make exceptions that shouldn't be made IMO.

Also, my impression (which could be inaccurate) is that even among those who aren't given exemptions, actual enforcement isn't as strict as it used to be.

Malthus

Anti-vaxxers are just one example of a much larger trend: the notion that objective truth isn't even an ideal worthy to take seriously.

Certainly people have always lied to advance themselves or their political points, but at least generally speaking lying was seen as a bad thing - an attempt to fool people into thinking that something that wasn't objective true, was in fact true.

Increasingly, people don't even care. The lies they tell aren't even attempts to deceive, and so aren't even really "lies" in the ordinary sense. They simply state blatant falsehoods, and believe them true themselves, because they want to believe them true. They can't be exposed as wrong by producing facts and proof that contradict what they are saying, because they, and those who listen to them, don't care about facts or truth.

The current exemplars of this sort of thinking are of course the political right in the US, but it is by no means limited to them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
Stupid First Amendment.

Nah, the US does designate organizations as terrorist on a pretty regular basis; they just haven't designated the Muslim Brotherhood.

https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Valmy

Man you have to be pretty damn old to remember a lot of that stuff. I mean the stuff that actually happened there :P

I mean my great-grandmother was notorious for always being on weird diets and she has been dead for almost sixty year.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on August 16, 2018, 09:21:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
Stupid First Amendment.

Nah, the US does designate organizations as terrorist on a pretty regular basis; they just haven't designated the Muslim Brotherhood.

https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Ah. Nevermind then. Forbid association all you want.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2018, 09:20:12 AM

So there are some of us old enough to have parents and grandparents who told us stories about the bad old days, of going hungry, friends and family dying from diseases that today are easily prevented or cured, deaths and horrid injuries working the land, violence and brutality, boys and girls not going to school because they had housework/farmwork to do.

But man that cream on the top of a jug of milk fresh from a cow made it all worth it - that is something absolutely non of my parents or grandparents said.

Valmy

My Grandmother sat my mother down and told her that because she was a woman she could only do one of three professional careers, being a teacher or a nurse or doing clerical work.

That was a woman who sure was content with her lot. Yep.