News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

They would reject the narrative that they supported Trump over Hillary because they're racist. Whether they are racist or not, they're clearly not openly identifying as such.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

True, they aren't literally saying it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Saw this on Facebook and got a chuckle.

QuoteAn infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar.[/size]The first mathematician orders a beer
[/color][/size]The second orders half a beer
"I don't serve half-beers" the bartender replies
"Excuse me?" Asks mathematician #2
"What kind of bar serves half-beers?" The bartender remarks. "That's ridiculous."
"Oh c'mon" says mathematician #1 "do you know how hard it is to collect an infinite number of us? Just play along"
"There are very strict laws on how I can serve drinks. I couldn't serve you half a beer even if I wanted to."
"But that's not a problem" mathematician #3 chimes in "at the end of the joke you serve us a whole number of beers. You see, when you take the sum of a continuously halving function-"
"I know how limits work" interjects the bartender
"Oh, alright then. I didn't want to assume a bartender would be familiar with such advanced mathematics"
"Are you kidding me?" The bartender replies, "you learn limits in like, 9th grade! What kind of mathematician thinks limits are advanced mathematics?"
"HE'S ON TO US" mathematician #1 screeches
Simultaneously, every mathematician opens their mouth and out pours a cloud of multicolored mosquitoes. Each mathematician is bellowing insects of a different shade.
The mosquitoes form into a singular, polychromatic swarm. "FOOLS" it booms in unison, "I WILL INFECT EVERY BEING ON THIS PATHETIC PLANET WITH MALARIA"
The bartender stands fearless against the technicolor hoard. "But wait" he inturrupts, thinking fast, "if you do that, politicians will use the catastrophe as an excuse to implement free healthcare. Think of how much that will hurt the taxpayers!"
The mosquitoes fall silent for a brief moment. "My God, you're right. We didn't think about the economy! Very well, we will not attack this dimension. FOR THE TAXPAYERS!" and with that, they vanish.
A nearby barfly stumbles over to the bartender. "How did you know that that would work?"
"It's simple really" the bartender says. "I saw that the vectors formed a gradient, and therefore must be conservative."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Social media woes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/01/crowds-trample-canada-sunflower-farm

QuoteFarm regrets opening fields after social-media butterflies trample flowers

The hope was to earn a little extra income during the two weeks that the family farm's crop was in bloom.

But Ontario's largest sunflower grower soon found itself backtracking on the idea, after it was swarmed by selfie-seeking visitors who trampled all over their crops and clogged up the nearby highway.

Bogle Seeds – a sixth-generation family farm near Toronto – had prepared for the crowds by hiring eight extra staff and setting up portable toilets.

What they hadn't taken into consideration, however, was social media – where selfies snapped along the farm's 1.3km (0.8 miles) patch of sunflowers were quickly going viral.

"Everyone was laughing and having fun," Barry Bogle told the Globe and Mail. "Then all of Toronto showed up."

On Saturday, cars began rolling in hours before the farm was set to open. By noon, the area was flooded with sunflower seekers, some who had parked more than a kilometre away.

As staff struggled to control the hordes, hundreds strolled directly into the fields without paying while others left their garbage among the blooms.

Police were soon called in to help manage the chaos. People, at times with strollers or children in tow, were crossing four lanes of traffic to get to the farm. Neighbours complained of people parking on their properties and, in one case, urinating in their bushes.

After the crowd swelled to an estimated 7,000 cars – far exceeding the space available in the farm's 300-car parking lot – police asked the family to shut down the operation.

Similar situations have been playing out at sunflower farms across the country, with one farmer in Manitoba complaining that some 2,000 people had been traipsing around his property last weekend in search of the perfect shot.

At the Bogle family farm, the full extent of the damage done won't be known until the sunflowers are harvested in autumn. Their focus is now on getting the message out that they are closed to sunflower seekers, likely forever.

Reaction to the news has been mixed; some accused the family of ruining their vacation while others simply drove around the corner and – selfie sticks in hand – snuck past the "no trespassing" signs.

"I'm getting the finger quite often," Brad Bogle told the National Post. "I'm getting people yelling at me. I'm getting people telling me, 'I drove two hours, three hours, I deserve to get my picture taken'."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2018, 07:04:49 AM
Social media woes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/01/crowds-trample-canada-sunflower-farm

After the crowd swelled to an estimated 7,000 cars – far exceeding the space available in the farm's 300-car parking lot – police asked the family to shut down the operation.

Reaction to the news has been mixed; some accused the family of ruining their vacation while others simply drove around the corner and – selfie sticks in hand – snuck past the "no trespassing" signs.

"I'm getting the finger quite often," Brad Bogle told the National Post. "I'm getting people yelling at me. I'm getting people telling me, 'I drove two hours, three hours, I deserve to get my picture taken'."

These people will be easily manipulated into taking part in torch lit night-time marches.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2018, 07:13:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2018, 07:04:49 AM
Social media woes.

These people will be easily manipulated into taking part in torch lit night-time marches.

Yes, but that has been the case throughout history.

mongers

Interesting article about the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory currently being embraced by some Trump followers. Informative, but I didn't get to the end, not because it's not well written, but the insanity of the subject matter:

What is the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory?

A sprawling, endlessly complicated pro-Trump conspiracy theory has jumped from fringe social media sites to mainstream attention.

The signs, shirts and banners at a rally in support of President Trump on Tuesday were, to the uninitiated, baffling.

"We are Q," read one sign at the event in Florida.

"WHERE WE GO ONE WE GO ALL," read another.

Others wore T-shirts with the letter "Q" and slogans such as "The Great Awakening".

All are references to a conspiracy theory gripping fringe pro-Trump activists - albeit a growing number of them, including celebrities, media personalities and influential social media accounts.

It's nebulous and continuously changing to adapt to current events, but the overarching conspiracy theory has been given a name: "QAnon".

Full item here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45040614
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Probably that Star Trek guy. He's a bit of a prankster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Nice that some people still use "anon". :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2018, 12:23:33 PM
Interesting article about the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory currently being embraced by some Trump followers. Informative, but I didn't get to the end, not because it's not well written, but the insanity of the subject matter:

What is the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory?

A sprawling, endlessly complicated pro-Trump conspiracy theory has jumped from fringe social media sites to mainstream attention.

The signs, shirts and banners at a rally in support of President Trump on Tuesday were, to the uninitiated, baffling.

"We are Q," read one sign at the event in Florida.

"WHERE WE GO ONE WE GO ALL," read another.

Others wore T-shirts with the letter "Q" and slogans such as "The Great Awakening".

All are references to a conspiracy theory gripping fringe pro-Trump activists - albeit a growing number of them, including celebrities, media personalities and influential social media accounts.

It's nebulous and continuously changing to adapt to current events, but the overarching conspiracy theory has been given a name: "QAnon".

Full item here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45040614

I think it is very telling that this fantasy that so many Trump supporters are interested in is essentially despotism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

This thread makes me think that Garbon has a point  :D

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Haven't decided if I should laugh or cry.