News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Speaking more about politicians and people who get paid to get them elected.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2018, 11:39:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2018, 10:46:27 AM
Well that is different. They want to turn illegal immigrants into citizens.

So they can vote for Democrats.

So the argument is that in order to counter the electoral impact of naturalizing foreign born residents of the US, it is justifiable to encourage foreign states to manipulate the electoral results as form of redress?

Isn't that an admission of knowing and deliberate treachery? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Are you asking me or the person who put together that meme-thingy?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

What's interesting about the first picture in that tryptich is it suggests the mouthbreathers see Putin as on their side.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 20, 2018, 11:56:45 AM

Ah. I guess I thought that was an attack on people who were Democrats rather than the politicians. But if that is the motivation of the politicians, as I said, I bet they would be disappointed with the results.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2018, 12:01:40 PM

Ah. I guess I thought that was an attack on people who were Democrats rather than the politicians. But if that is the motivation of the politicians, as I said, I bet they would be disappointed with the results.

Doubtful.  If Democrats keep promoting welfare spending and keep doing the identity politics thing, a significant majority of amnestied illegals will vote Democrat.  Even if it's just 60% it would be a big net benefit to the Dems.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2018, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2018, 12:01:40 PM

Doubtful.  If Democrats keep promoting welfare spending and keep doing the identity politics thing, a significant majority of amnestied illegals will vote Democrat.  Even if it's just 60% it would be a big net benefit to the Dems.

Maybe. But we will probably never know for sure.

But I will point out that these sorts of calculations have failed for the Dems in the past.

Edit: There is also the problem, at least from the Democrats point of view, that these populations tend to have very low voter turnout rates and are often non-political in their dispositions in general.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

What will more Dem voters in California do?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2018, 12:09:46 PM
What will more Dem voters in California do?

Dunno, maybe help turn some of the few Republican districts?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2018, 12:00:41 PM

I'm asking the 79% or so of GOP voters who actually though Helsinki was a successful summit meeting.  That's like calling Pearl Harbor a productive negotiating session.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 20, 2018, 12:20:59 PM
I'm asking the 79% or so of GOP voters who actually though Helsinki was a successful summit meeting.  That's like calling Pearl Harbor a productive negotiating session.

But you directed the question at Speesh.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on July 20, 2018, 12:00:41 PM

It's somewhat less than that, but if I run into any of them this weekend I'll pass it along.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2018, 12:25:51 PM

But you directed the question at Speesh.

I wasn't implying he held those beliefs, but he was "interpreting" for those that do.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

And I wasn't even addressing that part of it.