News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Thank you, Buzzfeed, for reminding me about the joys of Scottish twitter:

Quotekendra
@auntiekenny_
issue wi males that think it's acceptable to comment on how a girl looks when she's mwi am no oot tae be stunnin am oot tae cut mad shapes
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2018, 05:17:53 PM
Thank you, Buzzfeed, for reminding me about the joys of Scottish twitter:

Quotekendra
@auntiekenny_
issue wi males that think it's acceptable to comment on how a girl looks when she's mwi am no oot tae be stunnin am oot tae cut mad shapes

wot m8?

garbon

It's a problem that men think it is acceptable to comment on how a girl looks when she's out getting mad drunk. I'm not out to be looking good for men, I'm out having a good time, dancing up a storm.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2018, 05:57:47 AM
It's a problem that men think it is acceptable to comment on how a girl looks when she's out getting mad drunk. I'm not out to be looking good for men, I'm out having a good time, dancing up a storm.

I am impressed

garbon

Scottish social media seems to be all about how something might be written if you were drunk and attempting to write phonetically. :D

Zoupa

I got most of it but which part is the mad drunk? mwi? Acronym for something?

Maladict

Urban Dictionary: mwi

mad wae it, to be totally steamin (pissed) or buzzin on sumthin.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2018, 05:30:33 AM
Urban Dictionary: mwi

mad wae it, to be totally steamin (pissed) or buzzin on sumthin.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/scottish-phrase-of-the-day-mad-wae-it-1-3641206

QuoteThis weekend just past, waiters and bar staff dealt with hundreds of thousands of revellers in restaurants, pubs and clubs across the country. Most people will have been perfectly well-behaved - but some will have been pretty drunk, or, as some would say, "mad wae it".

Scots who have already overindulged at the pub this festive season will often describe themselves as being mad wae it, but one could also say they are looking forward to, or anticipating, "getting mad wae it".

Tracing the phrase's origin is probably beyond this article, given its distinctly colloquial character. Though few examples of the term exist in literature, it's awell established and widely used phrase, especially among young people in the west coast - but it's certainly not restricted to that region.

Mad wae it has even made its way onto a Scotsman headline: this one snuck into a story about a then-16-year-old who had made a film about his wayward teenage years.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon