News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Well you could just explain to me what you meant in the last paragraph. I'm not sure what it makes you think, clearly. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2017, 03:57:47 PM
Well you could just explain to me what you meant in the last paragraph. I'm not sure what it makes you think, clearly. :D
I thought it was pretty clear, but maybe I was mistaken.  It's an individual example of the great reluctance of women to go public with rape accusations, and how it comes about that so many men can rape scores of women for decades without being exposed publicly.  Maroney is a media darling, her abuser would have absolutely zero credibility to deny the abuse, and being retired she's no longer vulnerable to retaliation.  Even all that was not enough, it had to take a viral Twitter campaign to move her to speak out.  Now imagine what it's like for women that have none of these advantages Maroney had.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Yeah, I thought that was a good take DG.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2017, 02:29:02 PM
That's your take-away?  That Canada has done away with the mens rea concept that underpins the entire common law? How very odd. 

Yes, I found it extremely odd myself, to hear a prosecutor argue that "rape cases don't turn on the mindset of the Accused."  The accused mindset is called mens rea.  I would have thought that a professional prosecutor would have known that.  It is, after all, the concept that underpins the entire common law.

QuoteSexual assault is a general intent offence.  The only intent required is that you intended to have sexual contact with someone, and that person did not consent.  So yes, if you slip and by accident your penis slips inside a woman then you're not guilty.  But you don't have to know you're committing a crime in order to have mens rea.

So, many sex assault trials turn on the victim's evidence.  If defence can raise a reasonable doubt that they did in fact consent, then the Accused is not guilty.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.  That does not address my point at all.

QuoteNow there is a defence of "honest but mistaken belief in consent".  Once the Crown has proven that the victim did not consent, defence can assert that the Accused thought she had consented.  There the Accused's mindset does come into question.  The Accused has to testify obviously, which is why many/most sex assault trials do not turn on this defence.  And the Accused not has to believe that the victim consented, but such belief has to be reasonable (i.e. if the victim repeatedly says no, stop, a belief in consent isn't going to be reasonable).

You cannot have my argument.  This is the very argument that I started with, and you objected to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I am a little weary of the image of Jesus thing. The iconography of Jesus comes from roughly the same part of the world Jesus himself did, just a few centuries later.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2017, 05:54:34 PM
You cannot have my argument.  This is the very argument that I started with, and you objected to.

BB said, "In my experience many rapists don't think that they're doing anything wrong.  They just don't see the lack of consent by the woman to be an issue."

If your argument was that a person who doesn't see lack of consent as a problem can still make out a case of honest but mistaken belief, then you need to read a bit more law before going after a prosecutor who does this sort of thing as his day job.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2017, 12:37:19 PM
I am a little weary of the image of Jesus thing. The iconography of Jesus comes from roughly the same part of the world Jesus himself did, just a few centuries later.

You might consider that people are talking about all the art produced from the middle ages on depicting Jesus as a long haired white dude.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2017, 12:46:22 PM

You might consider that people are talking about all the art depicting Jesus as a long haired white dude.

Here is a 6th century image of Jesus from Byzantine Egypt:

It is a long haired white dude. Take it up with Jesus's neighbors descendants if they got it wrong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2017, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2017, 12:46:22 PM

You might consider that people are talking about all the art depicting Jesus as a long haired white dude.

Here is a 6th century image of Jesus from Byzantine Egypt:

It is a long haired white dude. Take it up with Jesus's neighbors descendants if they got it wrong.

Sure, but I doubt many from Western Europe or North America, have that image in mind when they think of Jesus - much more likely they are thinking about paintings in the Roman Catholic and later Protestant traditions.

The Brain

Jesus wasn't white now? Which color was He these days?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Yeah I think you're missing the point though about what makes the Nazi types queasy.  It's not the prospect of Jesus as a Nubian.  More that he's a hook-nose, a Red Sea pedestrian.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2017, 01:20:59 PM

Yeah I think you're missing the point though about what makes the Nazi types queasy.  It's not the prospect of Jesus as a Nubian.  More that he's a hook-nose, a Red Sea pedestrian.

It is very possible that my typical problem when dealing with this race thing (trying to figure out what makes somebody a certain race and who qualifies and who doesn't) is indeed the problem :P

Like: why aren't Iranians white? To my eyes they look like white people. But they aren't. For reasons. Or are they? Who knows.