News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2024, 10:06:25 AM
QuoteNottingham City Council wanted to add a path, benches, trees and book exchange to the open space in Bilborough.

However, residents were worried it would attract anti-social behaviour and stop children playing sports.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
There'll always be a reason. I always remember the opposition to a new GP's surgery because it would increase traffic and cause noise from people "opening and closing car doors" :lol:

This is one of those things though, like low traffic neighbourhoods or estate regeneration, where I'm sure if there was representative poll or referendum of the local community there'd be overwhelmingly in favour.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2024, 06:23:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2024, 09:52:50 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2024, 12:38:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2024, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 21, 2024, 08:40:55 AMI didn't know Montreal was a very dangerous city.
Only during winter.

try navigating the bar district just after last call.

The only time I go to Montreal is to see a band I like play at a club on st Catharine's. I normally have a couple drinks after and walk to my hotel a few blocks away. Never felt more threatened than, say, Toronto. It's dingy. Lots of homeless and panhandling but I've never felt scared.

There was a video about people falling down on the pavement. If you ever walk along St Catherine's after closing, you will see lots of people on the verge of falling down.

Yeah, I was probably one of them.  ;)  To my point though, people falling down drunk doesn't mean dangerous. Maybe I'm just immune. I went to university in downtown Toronto and saw a lot of that in my prime years.

Um, it the falling down that is dangerous.

Sheilbh

Love how much this man looks exactly like I expected him to :lol:
QuoteWiltshire cannon maker enjoys making people smile through his hobby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-68614958
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2024, 02:51:55 PMLove how much this man looks exactly like I expected him to :lol:
QuoteWiltshire cannon maker enjoys making people smile through his hobby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-68614958

I'm kinda surprised that there is enough cannon business in the UK to keep four cannon-makers in business.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Good of them to stick to their guns.  :bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

In case anyone is still looking for Easter gifts:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2024, 10:38:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2024, 10:06:25 AM
QuoteNottingham City Council wanted to add a path, benches, trees and book exchange to the open space in Bilborough.

However, residents were worried it would attract anti-social behaviour and stop children playing sports.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
There'll always be a reason. I always remember the opposition to a new GP's surgery because it would increase traffic and cause noise from people "opening and closing car doors" :lol:

A clear call to ban cars on that street altogether.  :bowler:

QuoteThis is one of those things though, like low traffic neighbourhoods or estate regeneration, where I'm sure if there was representative poll or referendum of the local community there'd be overwhelmingly in favour.
Yep. We saw that with the recent attempts in a posh part of Newcastle. People living in those streets were happy about it. The moaners however were much bigger in numbers as the traffic was pushed onto the main road and made getting across it 5 minutes slower. Which the council gave as their reason for cancelling the low traffic neighborhood- despite this being the point rather than an unforeseen circumstance.
They never got back to my messages asking about this.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Today's one of those days where I regret getting one of those historical anniversary desk calendars ....

:x
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Houston went woke, is now broke.

:P

I don't know how true that statement is in regards to wokeness, I just like the rhyme. Valmy, do you live in Houston?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

I live in Austin, the wokest city in Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on March 27, 2024, 08:16:15 PMHouston went woke, is now broke.

:P

I don't know how true that statement is in regards to wokeness, I just like the rhyme. Valmy, do you live in Houston?

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2024, 08:22:36 PMI live in Austin, the wokest city in Texas.

How's your cities finances :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 27, 2024, 08:39:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2024, 08:22:36 PMI live in Austin, the wokest city in Texas.

Doing alright, both Elon Musk and Joe Rogan set up shop here which just goes to show that they both actually like being woke despite their internet posing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2024, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 27, 2024, 08:39:58 PM

Doing alright, both Elon Musk and Joe Rogan set up shop here which just goes to show that they both actually like being woke despite their internet posing.

Its all massive 4D chess to get fascist support then suddenly *bam* surprise. "We were libertarians afterall! Now I've finished not paying taxes I'm off to my big inter-racial multi-gendered orgy!"
██████
██████
██████