And we're back!

Main Menu

A silent coup in Poland?

Started by Syt, November 27, 2015, 06:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2018, 05:38:30 AM
But the migrant situation!

At least that would be the answer of the average Hungarian voter.

Funny thing - near work there's a small church of the Polish community here. They have the (mandatory?) John Paul II statue, and a cross that commemorates two events:
1. The Soviet massacre of Poles at Katyn in 1940
2. The 2010 plane crash in which Pres. Kaczynski died and where his brother thinks it was a Russian conspiracy.

It originally read:
1940 Katyn
2010 Smolensk

They've recently added a small note saying that this just commemorates the tragic death of Pres. K. and is not meant to imply anything else, no siree.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

:lol:

My impression is that the 2010 crash has been made into an official martyrdom story and the Russian plot angle has been made canon by the government.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2018, 06:15:32 AM

My impression is that the 2010 crash has been made into an official martyrdom story and the Russian plot angle has been made canon by the government.

There are few things Poles love more than martyrdom.  :P

AFAIK the EU has already started a sanctioning process against Poland because of this, let's see if Mr. Potato caves in when EU monies are cut.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2018, 06:17:51 AM
AFAIK the EU has already started a sanctioning process against Poland because of this, let's see if Mr. Potato caves in when EU monies are cut.

Didn't Orban promise to veto any major measures against Poland?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

The EU is leveling sanctions because the Poles believe the plane crash was a Russian plot?

The Larch

Quote from: dps on July 04, 2018, 07:24:37 AM

The EU is leveling sanctions because the Poles believe the plane crash was a Russian plot?

No, because of their judiciary reform.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2018, 07:28:14 AM

That's what I though, but you quoted a post about the plane crash, so I wondered.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2018, 07:00:51 AM

Didn't Orban promise to veto any major measures against Poland?

Hungary is also on notice because of their own descent into authoritarianism. I have no idea if the sanctioning mechanism requires unanimity or not, but if it does then on practical terms they're enabling each other by blocking EU sanctions.

The Larch

Quote from: dps on July 04, 2018, 07:29:56 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2018, 07:28:14 AM

That's what I though, but you quoted a post about the plane crash, so I wondered.

I just took advantage of the martyrdom reference.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2018, 07:30:17 AM
but if it does then on practical terms they're enabling each other by blocking EU sanctions.

That's exactly what they are doing.

The EU was not designed with malicious use in mind.

Especially in the case of Hungary it has become a great tool to foster an authoritarian regime. The influx of EU money has been used to raise a new oligarchy personally loyal to Orban and him only, while the EU is also an amazing pressuve valve. The Hungarians working and living abroad are estimated anywhere between 600k and 1 million. Sure, a good number of these left due to the economic opportunities, but a lot of them are skilled workers who had no trouble finding employment in Hungary, they just couldn't take all the shit. In past eras they would be stuck inside the borders frustrated and angry. Now they can just pack up and leave the country to the ignorant bigots who always end up ruling it, historically.