News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A silent coup in Poland?

Started by Syt, November 27, 2015, 06:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The other East Europeans with anti-German or anti-EU views are all russophiles (Zeman, Fico, Orban) so they are not compatible with PiS.

Martinus

Yes, reality has always been a problem for the "Jagellon strategy". ;)

Namely, the rest of Mitteleuropa is not very keen to accept Poland's enlightened leadership.

Norgy

Can we: call it a PiS-poor strategy?

Martinus

So, the Polish foreign affairs minister is making waves here in Poland after giving some moronic interview to Bild and then being quoted by Reuters saying he would support the UK taking away some of the EU migrants' social rights if the UK supported placing of NATO bases in Poland.

He is now in a heavy damage control mode, especially as PiS won among the UK-based diaspora more heavily than in Poland proper.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Will PiS manage to piss off the Balts as well this time?

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 04, 2016, 09:58:53 AM
Will PiS manage to piss off the Balts as well this time?

Almost certainly.

Zanza

Merkel will support Cameron on the social welfare topic if it raises the chance to keep the UK in the union.

Duque de Bragança

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 27, 2015, 07:43:20 AM
Poland is not Hungary or Russia, mind you - people here are very contrarian and freedom-loving to the point of anarchism and any attempts at authoritarianism need to be very clever to succeed.

Emmanuel Todd famously predicted that Communism would fail in Poland - the traditional family structure was nuclear egalitarian and thus the tendency towards resistance to authoritarianism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2016, 10:07:06 AM
Merkel will support Cameron on the social welfare topic if it raises the chance to keep the UK in the union.

What are Cameron's demands?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2016, 08:13:44 AM
I never really got the reason why PiS is so anti-German. Is it because of current political issues or just age-old resentments?

I like the blase attitude when you're talking about grievances in living human memory in which Germans killed some six million Polish citizens.

jimmy olsen

The EU hasn't done anything about Hungary's media laws has it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2016, 06:04:36 PM
I never really got the reason why PiS is so anti-German. Is it because of current political issues or just age-old resentments?

I like the blase attitude when you're talking about grievances in living human memory in which Germans killed some six million Polish citizens.
As Marty said it's not so much about what the Nazis did in WW2, but rather what the Prussians did throughout the centuries, so age-old resentments seems fitting. I hadn't gotten the "Germans are Nazis" vibe from PiS, so I wondered if it has deeper historical roots. I think PiS is more likely to cite the Battle of Grunewald than the Warsaw Uprising.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2016, 06:04:36 PM

Yeah, but I don't think they care about that type of Polish citizen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2016, 06:05:43 PM
The EU hasn't done anything about Hungary's media laws has it?

Nothing substantial, and there's quite a few EU politicians saying that this was a mistake and shouldn't be repeated with Poland.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.