Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2019, 04:59:39 PM
They can but at the limit the price is potential hyperinflation, i.e. early Weimar Germany or late Mugabe Zimbabwe as opposed to Greece.

The limit comes before that, at the point an investor knows the only options are default or hyperinflation.

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2019, 04:50:53 PM
So what are 'we' going to do about *this?

* but this I mean climate change, not the debate about where French people go for extended holidays.  ;)

There is no "we" in this.

Admiral Yi

...which raises the free rider issue.  IMO the best way to deal with that would be global trade sanctions.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
...which raises the free rider issue.  IMO the best way to deal with that would be global trade sanctions.

Europe is going to sanction the US?  Not much can be done if the US, China and India don't cooperate. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2019, 04:56:31 PM
Sadly, the "we" has to be at the level of the nation state to recruit the resources needed to restructure how electricity is produced. delivered and used.  The "we" as individuals need to elect governments who will do that.  Ideally all political parties would compete for votes on the basis of having the best plan to identify and achieve what needs to be done.  But, again sadly, very few political parties are doing so in any meaningful way.
Easily for us, in Quebec and BC, we can get our electricity from hydro power (limited GHG) and export it.

If we had amplus surplus of oil that we could use for power, would we be so adamant to push for change on how we produce that?

Hydro-Quebec wanted to buy NB Power at some time.  That caused quite a stir in English Canada.  Even excusing the traditional Quebec bashing, lots of provinces do not want to relinquish their energy production.  If BC Power was to take over Alberta Power and shut down all their thermal plants, I'm not sure it would go over that well.

Anyway.  In the mean time, we could at least stup those stupid subsidies to the oil industry.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
that would be the ideal solution.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 03, 2019, 08:48:08 PM
Europe is going to sanction the US?  Not much can be done if the US, China and India don't cooperate.

Obviously.  So it will be some time before you need to start worrying about personal sanctions.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2019, 09:22:18 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 03, 2019, 08:48:08 PM

Obviously.  So it will be some time before you need to start worrying about personal sanctions.
With so many hard drives filled to the brim with anime, Mono has got to be responsible for a third of Hong Kong's power consumption. ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on April 03, 2019, 04:34:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2019, 08:33:21 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 03, 2019, 12:38:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 11:09:18 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 02, 2019, 11:07:58 PM
A couple of friends went to the Maldives for honeymoon. What a waste of money. Just fly to the caribbean for 10% of what you spent idiots.

Plus they speak French there.

Just came back from Martinique. I can;t believe my parents picked Montreal over Fort de France 30 years ago  <_<

That's how I feel about my ancestors too!

GF, depending on when they came over, you should be glad they didn't pick the Caribbean--back in the day, Europeans who settled there tended to die off fairly quickly from malaria and the like.  By the 1980's, Zoupa's folks wouldn't have had that excuse.

My first ancestor showed up in, what is now Quebec city, 1648.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2019, 09:49:34 AM
A couple of friends went to the Maldives for honeymoon. What a waste of money. Just fly to the caribbean for 10% of what you spent idiots.

Just came back from Martinique. I can;t believe my parents picked Montreal over Fort de France 30 years ago  <_<

GF, depending on when they came over, you should be glad they didn't pick the Caribbean--back in the day, Europeans who settled there tended to die off fairly quickly from malaria and the like.  By the 1980's, Zoupa's folks wouldn't have had that excuse.

Wise choice. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2019, 09:49:34 AM

Mine arrived in 1635, got his first lands in 1649 and 1659.  :)

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 10:06:17 AM
Wise choice. 
From there, they went downhill, finally settling on Montreal's south shore :(  Had he known his descendants would suffer with pollution and traffic, he might have made a wiser choice :(

crazy canuck

The arctic is about 2 degrees Celsius warmer than at any time in the last 10,000 years.

QuoteThe temperatures recorded today are even higher than the previous highs believed to have occurred during the early Holocene period, about 9,900 and 6,400 years ago, when Earth's axis was tilted more strongly toward the sun, the report states.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/arctic-warmest-in-10000-years-1.5094392

viper37

What if air conditionners could help save the planet?

Quotearth's climate is full of terrifying feedback loops: Decreased rainfall raises the risk of wildfires, which release yet more carbon dioxide. A warming Arctic could trigger the release of long-frozen methane, which would heat the planet even faster than carbon. A lesser-known climate feedback loop, though, is likely mere feet from where you're sitting: the air conditioner. Use of the energy-intensive appliance causes emissions that contribute to higher global temperatures, which means we're all using AC more, producing more emissions and more warming.

But what if we could weaponize air conditioning units to help pull carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere instead? According to a new paper in Nature, it's feasible. Using technology currently in development, AC units in skyscrapers and even your home could get turned into machines that not only capture CO2, but transform the stuff into a fuel for powering vehicles that are difficult to electrify, like cargo ships. The concept, called crowd oil, is still theoretical and faces many challenges. But in these desperate times, crowd oil might have a place in the fight to curb climate change.
[/b]

Interesting tech, if it can be developped into a practical application.

Maladict

Amsterdam to ban all diesel and petrol cars, motorcycles by 2030. This should be interesting.