Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2019, 09:36:01 PM
So well beyond the intellectual capabilities of our President.

It's colder in winter, therefore global warming is a hoax!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

There are times when I am glad I never had children...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Is there a limit as to the amount of heat that oceans can absorb?  :ph34r:

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Maladict

mongers

Australians on the boil:

Australia swelters through record-breaking heatwave18 January 2019 

Image copyright
AFP/Getty

Australia has just sweltered through at least five of its 10 warmest days on record, authorities estimate.

An extreme heatwave has afflicted the nation since Saturday, causing wildlife deaths, bushfires and an increase in hospital admissions.

Australia's Bureau of Meteorology said preliminary readings showed daily national temperature highs of 40C.

The town of Noona in New South Wales meanwhile recorded a night-time temperature of 35.9C.

It was the highest minimum temperature ever recorded anywhere in Australia, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said.

Temperatures on Friday will soar above 42C in "broad areas", the bureau predicted.

Forecasters have compared conditions to the nation's worst heatwave in 2013, where the mercury soared to 39C for seven consecutive days.

The hottest day on record for Australia is 7 January 2013, when the national average maximum temperature was 40.3C.

"The current heatwave ranks alongside that of January 2013 as the most extensive and prolonged heatwave on record over Australia," BOM senior meteorologist Blair Trewin told the BBC earlier this week.

"There have been other notable heatwaves but none affecting such a large area of the country."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46886798
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

AnchorClanker

For what it's worth, DC has had the wettest year since the 1880's.  Funny, I thought the fall seemed an awful lot like an Oregon Coast fall...
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2019, 11:24:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2019, 09:42:23 PM
The title of the article says it all

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oceans-are-warming-faster-than-predicted/

and since the oceans are warming faster than predicted, I suppose it stands to reason that Greenland's glaciers are also melting faster than previously predicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/21/greenland-ice-melting-faster-than-scientists-previously-thought-study

I guess that's why one the best UK boutique labels re-released Waterworld, offering a special edition.  :tinfoil:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can't last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming? Please come back fast, we need you!

QuoteA Science Enthusiast 🚀
@aSciEnthusiast

Replying to
@realDonaldTrump
Glad you asked! The polar vortex is supposed to stay at the north pole but dwindling sea ice (from climate change) has caused the vortex to split in three places, and that's why it's cold down here. Polar vortex splits like this will become more common as climate change worsens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

That is probably why it is called "Global Warming" and not "Local Regional Warming"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

You're wasting your breath. Might as well teach a baboon to conduct a symphony orchestra.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson