Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2018, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2018, 01:53:58 PM
New report out saying that the Ocean has absorbed more heat than had been thought.  That has a lot of knock on consequences but one of the more concerning ones is that if we are to stay below 2 degrees of warming we need to reduce our carbon emissions by 25% more than had been estimated.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/study-oceans-have-absorbed-60-percent-more-heat-previously-thought

The climate change debate over the past few decades has been a useful object lesson in the consequences of statistical illiteracy on policy.  Namely that to the extent uncertainty exists about a range of outcomes, that should more often than not prompt a willingness to spend MORE resources to insure against the bad outcome, not less.

Agreed.  I think the most significant thing about this report is that it has reduced the amount of uncertainty regarding the outcomes we can expect.  And because we now live in a world dominated by Trump's constant lies and misinformation - this news hardly gets a mention.  WAD as far as the Trumpists are concerned I guess. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2018, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2018, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2018, 01:53:58 PM
New report out saying that the Ocean has absorbed more heat than had been thought.  That has a lot of knock on consequences but one of the more concerning ones is that if we are to stay below 2 degrees of warming we need to reduce our carbon emissions by 25% more than had been estimated.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/study-oceans-have-absorbed-60-percent-more-heat-previously-thought

The climate change debate over the past few decades has been a useful object lesson in the consequences of statistical illiteracy on policy.  Namely that to the extent uncertainty exists about a range of outcomes, that should more often than not prompt a willingness to spend MORE resources to insure against the bad outcome, not less.

Agreed.  I think the most significant thing about this report is that it has reduced the amount of uncertainty regarding the outcomes we can expect.  And because we now live in a world dominated by Trump's constant lies and misinformation - this news hardly gets a mention.  WAD as far as the Trumpists are concerned I guess.

I don't disagree.

Oh and give now big a 'number' this ocean temperature warming is, it's astonishing how little impact it's having on politics in America, the UK or many other countries.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on October 08, 2018, 12:50:52 PM
Should have gone full nuclear.

Also, "we're fucked", "glad I don't have kids" etc. What is this, loser hour? Man the fuck up and deal with stuff that our grandparents would have been thrilled to have to deal with compared to crap back then.

Well said.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Today's youth are too soft, what with their hula hoops and television.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

And there it is. After more than a decade of dragging their feet and fighting court orders to do more to reach climate targets, the government has now stated we need nuclear plants as it's the only realistic option left on the table.  :rolleyes:

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, nuclear for the base load and wind and solar for intermittent, with improved links between different countries so that non-nuclear renewables can provide a larger percentage share. If fossil fuels are used for the transition then gas is the least damaging.

The Larch

Stop trying to make nuclear happen. It's not going to happen.

Syt

I think we're on the cusp of major changes. The climate will get worse before it gets better. If it gets better - no one wants to really do anything as long as it threatens a country's economic development and competitiveness.

And making it better and/or adapting will require major changes across the entirety of society and will create a huge upheaval either way. EU and US will have to significantly strengthen their borders. Question is what happens when they face their own migrants, e.g. if parts of Spain or Italy become unsustainable to live in, or if US coastal cities are flooded?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2018, 06:19:59 AM
I think we're on the cusp of major changes. The climate will get worse before it gets better. If it gets better - no one wants to really do anything as long as it threatens a country's economic development and competitiveness.

And making it better and/or adapting will require major changes across the entirety of society and will create a huge upheaval either way. EU and US will have to significantly strengthen their borders. Question is what happens when they face their own migrants, e.g. if parts of Spain or Italy become unsustainable to live in, or if US coastal cities are flooded?

If that happens I'll go and open a pub in Canada near the North-West Passage. We'll serve authentic goulash. Made out of moose.

Duque de Bragança

It's not like migration from South Italy to Padania  :P or Andalusians to Northern Spain is unknown of. Problem is, even the meseta in central/north Spain will be affected.

Tamas

I think it will also depend on a general level of the economy and infrastructure in some places. You can't do anything for flooded coastal cities but if an area becomes more barren and hot, the farmers are fucked, sure, but people may persevere if there'll be jobs and food. I'd imagine, at least.

viper37

or if US coastal cities are flooded?
Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama turn blue!?  :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Alabama? Maybe. Tennessee is in the mountains though :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2018, 06:32:31 AM

If that happens I'll go and open a pub in Canada near the North-West Passage. We'll serve authentic goulash. Made out of moose.
sounds good!  Though elk might be easier to find at this latitude. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.