Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

So apparently the amount of nutrients in our food had been decreasing over time.  One scientist thinks he knows why: increasing atmospheric CO2.

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/09/13/food-nutrients-carbon-dioxide-000511?lo=ap_a1
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Now that doesn't make any sense. We have had periods of higher CO2 in the past and there were still animals around eating stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2017, 01:34:03 PM
Now that doesn't make any sense. We have had periods of higher CO2 in the past and there were still animals around eating stuff.

Just have to eat more. it's one of the theories why dino's got so big.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

For anyone who says one degree of change doesn't matter...if I ever move my thermostat up one degree (from 64 to 65), my condo becomes a sweltering wasteland.  :mad:

crazy canuck

Did you read the article or just the headline?

According to the article, there is no controversy that foods have become less nutritious.  The question is why that is occurring. And this researcher thinks he has linked higher CO2 to lower nutrients.

Monoriu

It is December, but temperatures here still regularly go above 20C, and I still need to switch on the air-conditioner occasionally.  This never happened when I was a kid. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 03, 2017, 12:54:43 AM

Did you read the article or just the headline?

According to the article, there is no controversy that foods have become less nutritious.  The question is why that is occurring. And this researcher thinks he has linked higher CO2 to lower nutrients.

I don't remember as that was almost three months ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2017, 01:10:04 AM
It is December, but temperatures here still regularly go above 20C, and I still need to switch on the air-conditioner occasionally.  This never happened when I was a kid.

You were thinner, and in better shape.  Now you break into a sweat opening a laptop. 

crazy canuck

That bad news is the Arctic is warming quickly (as predicted).  The good news is there is still at least one US government agency that is still measuring the effects of global warming

QuotePermafrost in the Arctic is thawing faster than ever, according to a new US government report that also found Arctic seawater is warming and sea ice is melting at the fastest pace in 1,500 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/12/arctic-permafrost-sea-ice-thaw-climate-change-report

CountDeMoney

For now.  The Administration just hasn't gotten to them yet.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2017, 10:50:40 AM
So apparently the amount of nutrients in our food had been decreasing over time.  One scientist thinks he knows why: increasing atmospheric CO2.

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/09/13/food-nutrients-carbon-dioxide-000511?lo=ap_a1

Actually that's not too bad for me.  That means, potentially, I can eat more without getting too fat.  Right?  :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on December 13, 2017, 07:40:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2017, 10:50:40 AM

Actually that's not too bad for me.  That means, potentially, I can eat more without getting too fat.  Right?  :unsure:

No.  You need to eat more to get the same nutrients.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

So what does the climate in 2018 have in store for 'us'?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"