I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2020, 02:29:29 PM
Where are you moving?

Not Chicago-area, Illinois

Say what you want about that midwest weather, there are few earthquakes and wild fires.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

People in this region (maybe the whole West Coast) are of course leery of wildfires and earthquakes, but it is a long "known" danger that people live with.  I have had people here talk to me with near terror about Tornados "back east" and they cannot understand how anyone can live with that threat all the time.  Throw in coastal hurricanes, winter storms and the like, and West Coast people are certain that the east is constantly on the edge of being obliterated.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2020, 10:22:50 AM
People in this region (maybe the whole West Coast) are of course leery of wildfires and earthquakes, but it is a long "known" danger that people live with.  I have had people here talk to me with near terror about Tornados "back east" and they cannot understand how anyone can live with that threat all the time.  Throw in coastal hurricanes, winter storms and the like, and West Coast people are certain that the east is constantly on the edge of being obliterated.

Hurricanes and tornadoes are a certainty every year the only question is where will they hit the hardest.  Major earthquakes rarely occur - we used to be able to say the same about major wild fires but global warming has changed that.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2020, 09:35:14 AM
Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2020, 02:29:29 PM
Where are you moving?

Not Chicago-area, Illinois

Say what you want about that midwest weather, there are few earthquakes and wild fires.

And I happen to love and miss midwestern winters.  :wub:

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2020, 10:22:50 AM

It's funny to me how terrified of tornados people out here are. I never really thought about them. I'd forget it was tornado season until I'd see the purple and green clouds, then be like,  "Oh. Right." Then just stay out watching for funnels.

It's all about what you know.
Yesterday, upon the stair,

PDH

Aaaaand, the next big fire burst out - high winds this weekend north of San Francisco meant a new big fire right outside of Santa Rosa (where my brother and his family live).

This is California, so at best rains are a month off, more likely mid-November or December even.  Expect more, all the fires contained will be smoldering until the rainy season (if there is one).

Had there not been a run on air purifiers, I could have bought one.  Oh well, just call me "cement lungs"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

15 °C, rainy and windy. Autumn is there!
Maybe 20°C tomorrow, but with rain. Good for the aquifers I guess.

viper37

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2020, 10:41:27 AM
Had there not been a run on air purifiers, I could have bought one.  Oh well, just call me "cement lungs"
import one from Canada.  It's going to cost a lot in shipping, but the high value of the USD will make it roughly the same as the us prices.

But I see Amazon.com has some smaller models on hand.  Might work for you, depending on how big a unit you were expecting to buy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Forecast says the smoke from the latest outbreak will be hitting us this evening.  A week smoke free was too good to be true.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Smoke has moved in as predicted, the only good thing is it is high level so it is currently only blocking out the sun.  Hoping it will not come down to infiltrate our lungs again.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2020, 11:24:54 AM
Smoke has moved in as predicted, the only good thing is it is high level so it is currently only blocking out the sun.  Hoping it will not come down to infiltrate our lungs again.
I had to live only two weeks with that smoke, and it was really hard.  Can't imagine living in this for 2 months.

merithyn

Peedy, air quality is good here, and will only go to moderate so far. If you need somewhere to go to breathe (assuming you can leave your area), I have space.
Yesterday, upon the stair,

PDH

The winds are holding steady coming from the ocean, which means all the smoke ain't coming here so far.  I figure it's heading to Wyoming which has its own wildfire problems.  Funny that.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on October 01, 2020, 12:12:05 AM
The winds are holding steady coming from the ocean, which means all the smoke ain't coming here so far.  I figure it's heading to Wyoming which has its own wildfire problems.  Funny that.

If you are looking for your smoke, I found some of it.  Feel free to come and get it.