Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

This is now considered feasible, turning the entire North Sea (and Baltic) into a lake to control sea level rise.

I guess it will be cheaper than rebuilding all the coastal cities inland. But the damage to the marine ecosystem would be immense.

Tamas

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 07:50:18 AM
What would this solve?  :huh:

Sea level rise. Once you isolate a body of water, you can control its level.
But it will turn into a fresh water lake over time.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on February 26, 2020, 08:02:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 07:50:18 AM
What would this solve?  :huh:

Sea level rise. Once you isolate a body of water, you can control its level.
But it will turn into a fresh water lake over time.

So basically the ROTW would get more sea level rise with this, plus the total upheaval of marine life, in order to protect the coastal cities and towns around it. Bit of a dick move, isn't it?

garbon

Here's an article about it - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/giant-dams-could-protect-millions-from-rising-north-sea

Doesn't seem particularly newsworthy given likelihood of this paper being adopted as policy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 08:07:09 AM

So basically the ROTW would get more sea level rise with this, plus the total upheaval of marine life, in order to protect the coastal cities and towns around it. Bit of a dick move, isn't it?

That's pretty much the effect of any dam.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2020, 08:15:29 AM
Here's an article about it - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/12/giant-dams-could-protect-millions-from-rising-north-sea

Doesn't seem particularly newsworthy given likelihood of this paper being adopted as policy.

Ideas like these (including the one where we abandon half the country) should become part of public discourse. That's what the paper is for.  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on February 26, 2020, 08:31:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2020, 08:15:29 AM

Ideas like these (including the one where we abandon half the country) should become part of public discourse. That's what the paper is for.  :huh:

This is far from being a Netherlands-only thing, though.

It fails on having to include the UK, alone. A lot of people would go positively ape over the thought of blocking fish migration routes for the mere benefit of saving millions of livelihoods.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2020, 08:33:58 AM

This is far from being a Netherlands-only thing, though.

It fails on having to include the UK, alone. A lot of people would go positively ape over the thought of blocking fish migration routes for the mere benefit of saving millions of livelihoods.

True. A lot of people would go ape over London being submerged, too.

The Afsluitdijk is being remodeled to accomodate fish migration at the moment, it's pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDo6DX7hksc

Admiral Yi

In 2019, US emissions were down 2.9%, Europe was down 5%, Japan down 4%.

Get to work Americans.  Buy more Teslas.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2020, 09:01:09 AM

Double bonus, since they destroy forests in Europe to build new plants.  Yuros emissions will be up, while US will be down.  Trump could brag about it, if he was smart...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 26, 2020, 11:52:32 AM

Double bonus, since they destroy forests in Europe to build new plants.  Yuros emissions will be up, while US will be down.  Trump could brag about it, if he was smart...

What new plants are they building? Is Europe having an expanding load? Their population is not exactly radically expanding.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2020, 12:00:07 PM
What new plants are they building? Is Europe having an expanding load? Their population is not exactly radically expanding.

He's talking about Elon's Berlin factory, which is blocked right now by tree huggers.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2020, 12:04:45 PM

He's talking about Elon's Berlin factory, which is blocked right now by tree huggers.

Oh. I missed that he was talking about Tesla.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on February 26, 2020, 11:52:32 AM

I've read over the week-end they were planning to build a new plant in Germany and they would destroy a large forest to do so.  Can't remember where.  Maybe it was FB...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.