News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malta

Started by Darth Wagtaros, February 12, 2024, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 23, 2024, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 15, 2024, 07:40:55 AMSo many epic Siege moments over the years. :)
I've seen more movies about the Alamo than about Constantinople or Malta.  It must have been one epic battle. :P

If the Alamo had had a back door, Texas would still be part of Mexico.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on February 15, 2024, 07:40:55 AMSo many epic Siege moments over the years. :)
I've seen more movies about the Alamo than about Constantinople or Malta.  It must have been one epic battle. :P

It is a thought. I've never seen a (WW2) siege of malta film.
There surely must have been one back in the 50s and 60s when they churned out ww2 films on a production line. But nothing stands out in my mind so I expect it was nothing special.

Thinking about it though, it does seem to have all the ingredients for a really good modern film or miniseries.
Semi exotic Mediterranean setting but with plentiful Brits and any other culture you might want represented, lots of dramatic tension and moments of minor victory and defeat...
I could see it work with anything from a blockbuster to a tea time tv (think The Durells with explosions) treatment
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I think a good film based on the Otto siege of Malta would be cool. It's very much a heroic, last man standing despite the odds type of story.

There are films about Malta in WW2, as you said, mostly 1950s British ones, none particularly good. If you can come across this book, though, The Kapillan of Malta, I highly recommend it. It's a story about a local village priest who tries to comfort his parishioners during the siege. Written by a Brit, Nicholas Monsarrat, who retired in Malta.

Darth, if you do go, you can find that book at all the good war museums.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on February 24, 2024, 03:30:44 AM

It is a thought. I've never seen a (WW2) siege of malta film.
There surely must have been one back in the 50s and 60s when they churned out ww2 films on a production line. But nothing stands out in my mind so I expect it was nothing special.

Thinking about it though, it does seem to have all the ingredients for a really good modern film or miniseries.
Semi exotic Mediterranean setting but with plentiful Brits and any other culture you might want represented, lots of dramatic tension and moments of minor victory and defeat...
I could see it work with anything from a blockbuster to a tea time tv (think The Durells with explosions) treatment
I ask Co-Pilot (ChatGpt).   And...  That thing is fucked up.

No hitorical dramas.  One tv documentary shot on site in 2020 (looks nice, btw).  And one about the WW2 battle shot in 2014 that includes never before released footage.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Turkish Air has repeatedly changed the flight times, usually by about five or ten minutes early or later. Its making me nervous.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 15, 2024, 08:34:01 AMTurkish Air has repeatedly changed the flight times, usually by about five or ten minutes early or later. Its making me nervous.

When are you leaving?

And don't forget to try the pastizzi.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Our trip is in a few weeks, first weekend in April.  Which is why all these 5/10 minute flight changes are weird.

PDH!

Sheilbh

I've had that with Wizz Air. It's really weird - like the flight is fine and leaves at basically the right time but they'd send loads of "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" emails and it's just that they've moved it by 5 minutes :lol:

Not at all related but I think Turkish are the airline that flies to most destinations - or maybe Istanbul is the airport with the most connections :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!