News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Google behaviour?

Started by mongers, January 30, 2019, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

One pc is windows 7 and has to have chrome browser on it to play some drm'ed films/streams.  The upshot of this is that whenever I resume from hibernation the pc runs a googleupdate process, this despite the browser not being opened and all google process having been stopped in msconfig etc.

So how exactly do I find the 'switch' to kill this annoying behaviour.

2nd 'problem' is a different computer that sometimes runs google Picassa photo program.
Again all google services and processes have been disabled, yet sometime when I put in a camera sd card to move over photos, a google app pre-emptively takes over the control of the card and tries to manage any file transfers itself.  Any ideas on how to kill this annoyance.

Two minor issues, but makes one wonder what else google tries to get up to behind our backs?   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2019, 07:50:04 PM
One pc is windows 7 and has to have chrome browser on it to play some drm'ed films/streams.  The upshot of this is that whenever I resume from hibernation the pc runs a googleupdate process, this despite the browser not being opened and all google process having been stopped in msconfig etc.

Well, you kinda need all the updates for Google Chrome, so I'd let it run...

I believe you can play DRM content on Firefox now:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm

Alternativey, there is Chromium, the open source browser on wich Chrome (and others, like Vivaldi) is based.

2nd 'problem' is a different computer that sometimes runs google Picassa photo program.
Again all google services and processes have been disabled, yet sometime when I put in a camera sd card to move over photos, a google app pre-emptively takes over the control of the card and tries to manage any file transfers itself.  Any ideas on how to kill this annoyance.
Can't help you here, sorry.
But there are other softwares besides Picassa which you can use, especially since it's a dead software (and so is Win 7, btw)
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/03/picasa-is-dead-here-are-5-alternatives-for-online.html

Two minor issues, but makes one wonder what else google tries to get up to behind our backs?   <_<
a lot.   :ph34r:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on February 01, 2019, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2019, 07:50:04 PM

Well, you kinda need all the updates for Google Chrome, so I'd let it run...

I believe you can play DRM content on Firefox now:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm

Alternativey, there is Chromium, the open source browser on wich Chrome (and others, like Vivaldi) is based.

Can't help you here, sorry.
But there are other softwares besides Picassa which you can use, especially since it's a dead software (and so is Win 7, btw)
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/03/picasa-is-dead-here-are-5-alternatives-for-online.html

a lot.   :ph34r:

Thanks for the reply Viper, I'll look into those.

Yes Chronium looks interest, I had thought about getting Vivaldi, had tried an early version of it a while back.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Vivaldi works great, but I was unsure if it would work properly with DRM under Win7. 

But give it a try, it's a nice little browser.  Less features than Firefox, but it's getting there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.