News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

DC3 : Barbarossa under beta

Started by Drakken, October 25, 2015, 09:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2015, 09:37:50 AM
This does look very cool - I am kind of bummed at the limited scope though, since it only covers the first several months of the war.

I'm not. From experience with WITE most Axis players give up anyway when the Soviets aren't decisively beaten by 1942. Past Summer 1942 there is no way the Axis can regain the strategic initiative unless the Soviet player is braindead. The rest of the war is three long years of  the Russian player will take to grind the Axis back to Berlin. I know very few casual wargamers that would accept to play an unwinneable scenario for so long.

Case Barbarossa is the only realistic time when the Axis has a decent shot at winning the war (and even that is debateable). Beyond January 1942 if the USSR isn't beaten it will never will. It ceases to be interesting with the current design choices for the game. However I would gladly see the current design implemented ib reverse with Bagration and the invasion of Germany.

It might not look like it, but the scenario is eminently replayable. Who knows where Hitler will decide is next month's overriding objective. Who knows what Stalin will encounter as a new crisis next turn and which great Marshall he will send to the executioner.

The pleasure of DC:Barbarossa is crisis management : deal with people, needs and requests in a critical situation and balance these with the logistics of the war. Even better against a human player :  it becomes a big game of chess coupled with game theory. Plus for the Germans to manage a war with unprecedented levels of barbarism without becoming a monster in the process. I mean do you know a lot of wargames where the player is asked to deal with friggin' Einsatzgruppen AND the right choice isn't necessary the moral one? On my turn 4, Himmler is asking me no less than being an accomplice to genocide. Actively refusing would cost me a great chunk of my Political points when I can't afford it; they would certainly be much more useful to decide on more critical problems. My current situation might force me to turn a blind eye to war crimes under my own command... and I love that!

Drakken

Sorry for the ranting, but I love this game so much. If there is one Eastern front wargame to own, Berk, this is it. This has everything to become a classic.

Habbaku

Resistance...fading...urge to buy...increasing...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on December 16, 2015, 03:26:15 PM
Resistance...fading...urge to buy...increasing...

They're just Ersatzgruppen FFS.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Hamas, can you free deploy in this game?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Drakken

Quote from: 11B4V on December 17, 2015, 02:25:32 AM
Hamas, can you free deploy in this game?

I can answer for him.

The Soviet player's deployment and OOB at the start of the game is the same every game. Not only that, but the Soviet player suffers tremendous activation penalties on T2, making the Sir Robinski tactic of WITE impossible to perform in practice unless the player use its Helper button to activate ALL his armies (at costs of VPs in favour of the German player, since it is a "cheat").

The Soviet Army reinforcement table of arrival is very rigid; Armies are scheduled to arrive at a pre-assigned date and location (although they can be randomly delayed and the player must play a card to place the HQ on the map, after which Divs assigned to that HQ will arrive with each passing turn).

What the Soviet player can do is play the "Change Orders" card, which allows to deploy the next scheduled Army HQ reinforcement to a location of his choice, at the cost of PPs. IIRC, while the first use of that card is free the PP cost increases with each use.

Tamas

That is correct, however when the AI is playing the Soviets, there is some level of randomisation of these deployments as well as a few other things (where major city garrisons will be placed, as well as fortifications) to keep things unpredictable in SP as well.

jimmy olsen

This does look very cool - I am kind of bummed at the limited scope though, since it only covers the first several months of the war.

Eh, if the Germans don't win by winter, they're not gonna win.

Plus, I'm sure there will be expansions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2015, 06:14:56 AM

Only if you very narrowly define "win" is that true.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on December 17, 2015, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2015, 06:14:56 AM

Only if you very narrowly define "win" is that true.

In this game VPs determine who wins and to what degree depending on both players' own objectives.

Taking territory in itself doesn't mount to much, it is halved in the calculation. I can still take Moscow and still reach a draw or a minor win due to Tamas still holding his strategic goal - and even lose if I concede too much VPs elsewhere.

Tamas

oooooh did somebody just gave away his selected victory condition? ;)

remember, loose lips sink ships!

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2015, 12:21:29 PM
oooooh did somebody just gave away his selected victory condition? ;)

remember, loose lips sink ships!

:secret:

Tamas

True I cannot know if that's Hitler's choice and that might change later....  :hmm:

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2015, 12:28:14 PM
True I cannot know if that's Hitler's choice and that might change later....  :hmm:

Maybe... maybe not... :shifty:

Jacob

I'm really enjoying these threads - good work :cheers: