Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

And another one bites the dust.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/10/jamie-allman-resigns-david-hogg-sexual-assault-threat

QuoteTV host who said he would sexually assault Parkland's David Hogg resigns

A conservative commentator who sent a tweet saying he would use "a hot poker" to sexually assault an outspoken 17-year-old survivor of the Florida high school shooting has resigned from a St Louis TV station and been taken off the radio after several advertisers withdrew from his shows.

KDNL-TV accepted Jamie Allman's resignation and canceled The Allman Report, according to a brief statement from the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which operates the TV station. Before the show's launch in January 2015, KDNL-TV touted it as a nontraditional newscast with a conservative spin.

Allman's radio show on KFTK-FM has been taken off the air while the company "looks into the matter", said Esther-Mireya Tejeda, a spokeswoman for Entercom, which began operating the station last month.

Allman hasn't responded to messages seeking comment.

Several businesses pulled advertising from Allman's shows after he sent the 26 March tweet targeting David Hogg, who has strongly advocated for stricter gun control since 17 people were killed in the 14 February mass shooting at his school in Parkland, Florida.

In the tweet, Allman wrote: "I've been hanging out getting ready to ram a hot poker up David Hogg's ass tomorrow."

Allman's Twitter account was "locked" shortly after he sent the tweet, restricting access to his account, but a screenshot of it has been widely circulated on social media.

Hogg's willingness to take on the gun-control cause has made him a target for some conservatives. Fox News Channel's Laura Ingraham took a week's leave after apologizing via social media for her tweet saying that Hogg had "whined" about not getting in to some colleges.

Another student, Emma Gonzalez, has been falsely depicted in a doctored photo tearing up the Constitution.

Sinclair is a conservative-leaning company that owns nearly 200 local TV stations, making it one of the largest such companies in the US.

Donald Trump last week defended the company after a video showing dozens of Sinclair news anchors reading a script expressing concern about "fake stories" and "one-sided news stories plaguing the country" appeared on TV news reports and circulated online. Trump said rival TV stations were merely "worried about the competition and quality of Sinclair Broadcast".

Sinclair also has pushed for regulation of the broadcast industry to be eased and is trying to buy Tribune Media in a move that would dramatically increase the company's reach.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Fuck.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/18/texas-school-shooting-santa-fe-high

QuoteSanta Fe shooting: at least eight killed at high school in Texas
Sheriff says at least eight and perhaps 10 people are dead, and the alleged shooter in custody is believed to have been a student

Between eight and 10 people have been killed and a number of people injured in a shooting at a Texas high school on Friday, local law enforcement reported.

Police responded to reports of a shooter at Santa Fe high school about an hour from Houston on Friday morning before 8am local time. Students evacuated Santa Fe high school, about 35 miles south-east of downtown Houston, amid a heavy presence of law enforcement and medical first responders.

The Harris county sheriff, Ed Gonzalez, said in the late morning that at least eight and perhaps 10 people, including students and staff from the school, were dead. One male, a student at the school believed to be the shooter, has been arrested and a second "person of interest" has been detained, Gonzalez said. A school district police officer was among the injured and officers were searching the school, he added.

"The number varies; it could be anywhere from eight to 10 fatalities," he said.

Donald Trump broke off from an event at the White House and called the situation " a very sad day". He condemned "an absolutely horrific attack" and said his administration was "determined to do everything in our power" to prevent such incidents.

"We are with you in this tragic hour and we will be with you forever. We will do everything we can to keep weapons out of our schools and out of the hands of those who should not have them," he said.

The president pledged action on gun violence after the  in Parkland, Florida, in February, and held high level meetings with victims, survivors and lawmakers at the White House. But little action has resulted at the national level to change gun laws, despite a huge movement sparked by Parkland students calling for greater gun control.

One student told KHOU local news that he saw a girl limping after being shot in the leg.

One student told Houston television station KTRK in a telephone interview that a gunman came into her first-period art class and started shooting. "We thought it was a fire drill at first but really, the teacher said, 'Start running,"' the student told the television station.

"We were in class. It was first period. The alarm started going off, everybody went outside, all the teachers were like: 'Get this way, get this way, come over here.' Next thing you know we hear the booms and everybody starts running as fast as they can," Dakota Shrader, a 10th grader, told reporters. A friend was shot in the leg, she said, "and the next thing you know all the art [class] windows are getting shot, shattered."

Authorities have not yet confirmed that report. Aerial footage from the scene showed students standing in a grassy field and three life-flight helicopters landing at the school.

The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said it was responding to a shooting at the school.

There was a large law enforcement response to the same school in February when it was placed on lockdown after students and teachers said they heard "popping sounds".

Santa Fe police swept the campus but found no threat.

Santa Fe is a city of about 13,000 residents located 30 miles (48km) south-east of Houston.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

As seen on twitter :

Reporter: "Was there a part of you that was like, 'this isn't real, this would not happen in my school?'"

Student: "No ... it's been happening everywhere, I always kind of felt like eventually it was going to happen here too."
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2018, 11:53:07 AM
As seen on twitter :

Reporter: "Was there a part of you that was like, 'this isn't real, this would not happen in my school?'"

Student: "No ... it's been happening everywhere, I always kind of felt like eventually it was going to happen here too."

Jesus, now that is seriously fucked up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2018, 12:32:59 PM
As seen on twitter :

She's not wrong though.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2018, 12:38:00 PM
As seen on twitter :

She's not wrong though.

That's why it is fucked up.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2018, 12:38:48 PM
As seen on twitter :

She's not wrong though.

True.

alfred russel

As seen on twitter :

She's not wrong though.

Surely there are plane crash survivors that felt it was reasonably their plane would go down. The liklihood of a given high school student being on site of a school shooting is incredibly low.

We should still try to have less plane crashes and school shootings, but that that is different from saying the student was right to expect a shooting.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

As seen on twitter :

I know. It's crazy, I heard that news with all the emotional reaction of hearing about a particularly bad weather situation. It is so common now.

My kid's elementary school got evacuated because of a bomb threat and I never once thought 'WTF? Who would bomb threat an elementary school?' instead it was sort of like 'well...of course that happened.'

I had a shooter situation when I was at UT and I fully expect my kids to have one during their time in school at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2018, 12:38:48 PM
As seen on twitter :

She's not wrong though.

Indeed and sadly the thread title is becoming less inaccurate as US political life continues as usual.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN2RnCenxm4

Junior High (Middle School) in Noblesville Indiana.  Two injured, science teacher tackles shooter.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2018, 02:09:54 PM

My kid's elementary school got evacuated because of a bomb threat and I never once thought 'WTF? Who would bomb threat an elementary school?'

The students, to get out of class.  At least that's likely what it would have been back when I was in school (and yes, for the record, we did have a few bomb threats called in when I was in elementary school, and while AFAIK it was never proven to be students, that was the assumption--but to their credit, the authorities did treat the bomb threats as credible anyway and appropriately evacuated the school).  Or just a prankster who's a bit asinine.

The bad thing isn't that there are bomb threats called into schools, but that nowadays the likelyhood of there actually being a bomb is probably greater than it was 40-some years ago.