Building a new computer - PSU Question

Started by Alcibiades, October 22, 2015, 12:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Building this new rig, started ordering the parts. Figured it's time since I've been on the same rig for nearly 6 years.  My only concern is the power supply at this point.  All of the tests I've run generally show that a 650W power supply will be fine, and I never intend to go SLI.  However, some of them do recommend an 850, most notably Newegg does.

The most advanced calculator I checked (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) recommended a wattage of 525 after putting in the overclock stats.  Will this be fine on a 100% load?  PCpart picker calculates that the parts stock only use 385W.

Do you think the Corsair 650W 80+ gold will be fine?  Already ordered it so hoping it will be.   :sleep:

Thanks
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Barrister

Alci, it's an expensive build.  In some ways what I wish I could have built.

I wouldn't worry about the PSU - I think a lot of the online tools tend to wildly over-estimate what you need on that front.  I have a 550W PSU that seems to work ust fine with my 660k and 960 GTX.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Yeah, but the last time I splurged it lasted me nearly 6 years and I've been very happy with it.

And thanks, I'm hoping it will be fine too.   :)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DontSayBanana

Alci, are you OCing the GPU, the CPU, or both?  If you're only pushing some extra MHz out of the CPU, you should be fine with a 650.  If you're only OCing the GPU, again, I don't foresee a wattage spike that big.  But keep in mind that with overclocking, the extra performance is more costly than the baseline; if you're going to overclock both the processor and video card, I would absolutely get a PSU with more capacity than I'm expecting to need.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 22, 2015, 12:08:56 AM
Do you think the Corsair 650W 80+ gold will be fine?  Already ordered it so hoping it will be.   :sleep:

Thanks
Yes, it will be, so long as you keep that configuration.  If you want to add extra hard drives and change your mind about SLI, it will be in the lower end of the power requirements but will still work.
Just re-check your power requirements if you ever decide to go SLI or decide to add 2-3 supplemental hard drives.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alcibiades

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 22, 2015, 08:42:45 AM
Alci, are you OCing the GPU, the CPU, or both?  If you're only pushing some extra MHz out of the CPU, you should be fine with a 650.  If you're only OCing the GPU, again, I don't foresee a wattage spike that big.  But keep in mind that with overclocking, the extra performance is more costly than the baseline; if you're going to overclock both the processor and video card, I would absolutely get a PSU with more capacity than I'm expecting to need.

No, I would only plan to OC the CPU. 

Thanks for removing my doubts guy.