News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History Podcast (http://revisionisthistory.com/) just started a new season. The first two episodes were a really good listen--they cover the logic (or lack thereof) behind testing for speed on standardized tests in general and the LSAT in particular.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on May 30, 2019, 10:37:47 AM
In the latest episode of "Emperor's of Rome" they were discussing middle republic literature.  They were discussing Ennius; whose works exists only in fragments.  Cicero discusses the dream of Mars; which the commentators said sounded quite modernistic as it's unclear from his quoting if Ennius had written a prophetic dream or an event that occurred.  Another fragment we have of Ennius is that he was Homer reborn with an intermediate life as a peacock; which the commentators found psychedelic.

Of course even professors of classical studies (as these commentators were) view the classical world from the perspective of the early twenty-first century (and being a peacock is certainly no weirder than what's found in "The Golden Ass" or Ovid's "Metamorphosis").  Still "Psychedelic Rome" struck me as amusing.

Another plug for the Literature and History podcast - he is going through Roman literature now.  There are a number of episodes devoted to that topic now.

Barrister

I've started listening to podcasts on my way home from work.  Now during the winter I have a couple of different hockey podcasts I won't bore anyone with.

But I want to put a plug in for The Bulwark podcast by Charlie Sykes.  The Bulwark is an explicitly #NeverTrump conservative webpage that was formed out of the ashes of The Weekly Standard when its owner decided he didn't like owning an anti-Trump website anymore.  Charlie Sykes was a conservaive radio talk show host in Milwaukee for years and years, until the 2016 election broke him and he realized he didn't understand his own audience anymore.

So anyways, it's a daily podcast about american politics all from a right-wing anti-Trump perspective.  I like it because it re-assures me that there are other people who view politics the same way as I do in this age of Trump.  And Sykes, what with his decades of radio hosting experience, is a very smooth podcast host.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Any good yank sports podcast besides Bill Simmons? Preferably not baseball-centric, since I don't care for baseball.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 04:29:24 PM
Any good yank sports podcast besides Bill Simmons? Preferably not baseball-centric, since I don't care for baseball.

As mentioned above I know some Canadian-based hockey podcasts if you're interested... :whistle:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 04:29:24 PM

The Steve Austin Show isn't a sports podcast, but it often features sports (especially wrestling) and is a fun listen even if you (like me) couldn't care less about wrestling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

I was listening to a 2016 era episode of Bret Easton Ellis's podcast (about popular culture and the entertainment industry.)  At the time of recording Bret was dating a 29 year old man.  Bret made his boyfriend watch "Dog Day Afternoon."  His boyfriend said, in amazement, "They used to show movies like this in the theaters?"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I was listening to Fallo de Sistema in which they had an interview of John and Brenda Romero.  They said they had gotten offers to do a reality show of them similar to "The Osbournes."  They both thought that watching video game designers work would be really boring television.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I was listening to NPR Alt.Latino podcast; in the latest episode they were discussing the Hispanic roots of rock and roll.  They were discussing how Mambo was huge in 50s era New York extending well beyond the Cuban or even Hispanic communities.  There was even a Jewish mambo movement called "Mamboschewitz."

Alas, Google doesn't have any hits on that term; I wonder why Sergey Brin would try to cover something like that up.   :hmm:

There is, however, a documentary coming out about 50's era Jewish Mambo dancers called "The Mamboniks."  That might not have a wide release...

crazy canuck

When Diplomacy Fails is starting a series on the 30 Years War with a review of the military capabilities of the period.  Here is an episode describing the innovations of every Paradoxian's favourite Swede.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/when-diplomacy-fails-podcast/id528826104?i=1000452853549

Sheilbh

Couple of history podcasts that may be of interest.

Bad Gays - A podcast about evil and complicated gay men in history. Why do we remember our heroes better than our villains? Hosted by Huw Lemmey and Ben Miller.

The hosts are two left gay writers (one a novelist and the other a historian at the Gay Museum in Berlin). And yes they are very aware of the anachronism risk but look at these men and their sexuality and history through the lens of gayness.

The first series:
Ernst Röhm
Bosie
Lawrence of Arabia
James VI and I
Andrew Sulivan
Sir Anthony Blunt
Friedrich Radszuweit
Ronnie Kray
Leopold and Loeb
Roy Cohn

Common themes in the first series: evil twinks, the psycho-sexual trauma of British men and the links between gayness and colonialism.

Also the Faces of Fascism - 15 minute each series running, mainly chronologically through Mussolini, Hitler and Franco's lives (upcoming special on Salazar) to try - as best he can to work out what Fascism is, or what faces it presents.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I had to look up Friedrich Radszuweit.  Why is he a bad guy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2019, 11:22:51 AM
I had to look up Friedrich Radszuweit.  Why is he a bad guy?
Answer's in the pod :contract:

QuoteNo Hoover?
Series two. There are a lot of bad gays :(
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Here are the Podcasts I listen to regularly:

Stuff You Should Know
This covers a wide variety of topics including science, history, etc. Topics are generally "What was X?" or "How does X work?". The hosts are good at explaining the topics, and they have good chemistry. Good for listening while driving or doing household chores.

Stuff You Missed in History Class
Similar to Stuff You Should Know, but with a focus on history, particularly on obscure people and events. They cover a wide variety of subjects: scientists, activists, artists, political leaders, and so on.

Our Fake History
This history podcast does a deep dive into the myths and legends surrounding a historical event or figure, such as Robin Hood, the Crusades, the Pyramids, Atlantis, and more. Many two and three part episodes. Only comes out every two weeks and takes long breaks between seasons, but its worth it to go through the full archive at least once.

Smashing Security
This podcast covers current events in the hacking, cybersecurity, and technology worlds. Episodes are short and follow a pretty standard formula: each of the two hosts plus a guest introduce a topic from the news and discuss, and then each person discusses a "pick of the week", sometimes but not always security related.

Darknet Diaries
This one covers hacking and cybersecurity topics. Each episode either covers one event (e.g., NotPetya, ATM hacking, Hacker Giraffe) in-depth, or is an extended interview with someone interesting (e.g., a penetration tester hired by a company to test their security).

Opening Arguments
A biweekly podcast that discusses politics, law, and current events from a legal perspective. One podcaster is a layman and the other is a bona-fide lawyer. Tuesday episodes usually cover a particular topic (historical or current) in-depth, and Friday episodes cover issues from the weeks events. In the Trump era, episodes have been more current events focused than they were previously. Also, the layman answers a bar exam question each week, and its pretty fun to play along and see how well you can do.

God Awful Movies
Reviews religious (mostly Christian) movies and makes fun of them. Very off-color senses of humor. Personally I find them hilarious (though not all episodes are winners), but definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I'll usually put this one while working or doing chores. They've invited the Opening Arguments guys over occasionally to review movies involving Christianity and law (like The Devil's Advocate).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help