News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

What Valmy said. Death Throes of the Republic and Wrath of the Khans are his best works.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Another story from Open Yale's American Revolution:

During the Washington Administration Thomas Jefferson (then Secretary of State) had John Adams (Vice President) and Alexander Hamilton (Secretary of the Treasury) over for dinner.  After dinner the guests noted three portraits on the wall and asked Jefferson who they were.  Jefferson replied that they were his "Holy trinity:" Francis Bacon, the philosopher of science who expounded that the laws of nature could be determined through reason; Issac Newton who had used reason to unlock the secrets of nature by discovering gravity and John Locke who had used reason to determine the laws of society and good government.  These three were, in the opinion of Jefferson, the greatest men who had ever lived.

(A long pause)

Alexander Hamilton:  The greatest man who ever lived was Julius Caesar.

Thomas Jefferson:  :o :o :o

It's possible that Hamilton had admired Caesar for his statesmanship, or that he bought into Shakespeare's line that he Caesar had tried to save the republic.  It's quite a bit more likely that he just said that to get Jefferson's goat.  Since we know of this story through the writing of Jefferson, if that was Hamilton's plan he succeeded.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on January 25, 2018, 01:38:44 PM
Another story from Open Yale's American Revolution:

During the Washington Administration Thomas Jefferson (then Secretary of State) had John Adams (Vice President) and Alexander Hamilton (Secretary of the Treasury) over for dinner.  After dinner the guests noted three portraits on the wall and asked Jefferson who they were.  Jefferson replied that they were his "Holy trinity:" Francis Bacon, the philosopher of science who expounded that the laws of nature could be determined through reason; Issac Newton who had used reason to unlock the secrets of nature by discovering gravity and John Locke who had used reason to determine the laws of society and good government.  These three were, in the opinion of Jefferson, the greatest men who had ever lived.

(A long pause)

Alexander Hamilton:  The greatest man who ever lived was Julius Caesar.

Thomas Jefferson:  :o :o :o

It's possible that Hamilton had admired Caesar for his statesmanship, or that he bought into Shakespeare's line that he Caesar had tried to save the republic.  It's quite a bit more likely that he just said that to get Jefferson's goat.  Since we know of this story through the writing of Jefferson, if that was Hamilton's plan he succeeded.

I love that story and that is a great class. I really enjoy Joanne Freeman, she has a very infectious passion for the 18th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

A new Dan Carlin Hardcore History episode is out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Is he any relation to George?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 28, 2018, 08:08:35 PM
Is he any relation to George?

Even if he is they have little in common :P

mongers

Whilst a podcast, but more light relief than some of the weightier ones here, it's worth catching the BBC Friday Night podcast, especially DeadRingers with an excellent series of sketches on David Davis - Brexit Bulldog.    :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I've recently started listening to a comedy podcast called Adventure zone (http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/adventure-zone), in which three brother comedians and their father play D&D. It's more than worth a shot if you're into nerdy banter. They've been going at it for several years and have plenty of available material from their campaigns.

Josquius

Skylines, the City Metric podcast.
Because trains and urban development :nerd:
https://www.citymetric.com/content/skylines-podcast
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

I've been listening to "Grand Reportage" a French podcast from RFI.  The episode I just listened to was about this mysterious third world kingdom called Virgínia Ocidental and their King, Donald Trump.

;)

Most of the people interviewed on the program had to be translated.  One guy gave this spiel on how great Donald Trump was and ended it with a hearty laugh.  The translator did the whole thing and ended it with a lifeless "Ha-ha-ha."  It was an amusing contrast.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

There's a new Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy BBC Radio series just starting, 1st episode here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

:bowler:

Professor Stephen Hawking has a cameo in it too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

I've been listening to an online course called "Life in the Universe."  It's a generic earth and life SCIENCE! course that describes how life occurred on earth and how it might occur on extraterrestrial environments.  He was describing cataclysmic events and mass extinctions covering the one that wiped out the dinosaurs.  While that did give rise to the niche environment which allowed mammals to rule; if the asteroid had missed us he speculated that intelligent theropods may have arisen and the class might have occurred sixty five millions earlier populated by giant chickens.  My very first thought was:

Chickens are the closest living relative to the theropods.  At a different point he said that "If you ever wondered what dinosaur's tasted like; they probably tasted like chickens."  (Yes, as you probably guessed, the course is offered at Ohio State University.  Despite that it is quite informative.)

Savonarola

The podcast I've been listening to about the Roman Empire is Emperors of Rome.  I've enjoyed it; it's worth it for hearing "Ave" with an Australian accent.  Rhiannon Evans also has a course on iTunes U called "The Roman World" from La Trobe University.  The course is a general introduction to the Roman portion of classical studies and covers both history and literature.  (There's similar one for the Greek world called "Ancient Greece, Myth, Art, War.")

Another one that I've enjoyed is NPR's: Alt Latino podcast.  Sometimes the speakers will get way beyond my knowledge of Latin music (and now a discussion the roots of the boogaloo and its impact on modern Hispanic pop-culture) but the music is nice. 

crazy canuck

A podcast I recently found has become my addiction. https://literatureandhistory.com/

This is the lit prof you wish you had in university.  He places the literature in its historical context and gives an excellent synopsis of the literature he is examining in that episode.  He also finishes each episode with a humorous song.  If you love history you will love this podcast - with the added advantage that you will learn about the literature that has influenced our cultural development.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

Maladict

Stephen Fry's Great Leap Years is very enjoyable.