News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Freeman is a UVA grad ;)

What do you think of her class beyond the anecdotes?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Savonarola

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 30, 2017, 09:56:42 AM
Freeman is a UVA grad ;)

What do you think of her class beyond the anecdotes?

I've enjoyed them so far (though I'm only up to the Stamp Act.)  She does manage to convey a lot of information (despite being entertaining.)  She obviously is very well informed on her topic, and brings in a lot of individual narratives into her lectures.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Did you just call Donald Trump a great orator?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 30, 2017, 09:15:28 PM
Did you just call Donald Trump a great orator?  :wacko:

Have you not heard him hold forth on oreos?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on December 30, 2017, 08:42:31 AM
I've been following Open Yale American Revolution, taught by the ever entertaining Joanne Freeman.  My favorite anecdotes thus far:

Freeman was in Nevis researching Alexander Hamilton.  To get court house records she had to first purchase a stamp and get the stamp placed in the courthouse book.  The stamp man (at the post office, as you might expect) kept Caribbean hours which caused so many delays with her research that eventually she thought "Curse that stamp man."  At which point she realized she had just experience her own American Revolution moment.

In the 18th century British universities were a place you went to become the right sort of person, and to meet the right sort of people.  Due to their ties to :o dissenter :o religions, colonial universities were more akin to 19th century British universities, institutions that stressed mental development.  The exception to that was William and Mary, which was like an 18th Century British university.  One of the reasons Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia was that he was so disappointed with the education he had received at William and Mary.  His idea was that it would be a temple of learning, without ties to any religion and where students could select their courses.  While this did eventually become the template for the American university, at first it didn't quite work out like that.  The students would spend their times racing their horses across the campus green and shooting guns in the air.  Jefferson was so appalled by this that within seven months of the university's foundation he gathered the entire student body to rebuke them.  As he got up to talk, he was overwhelmed with emotion and broke down into tears.  The students were so moved that they promised to behave.  (That didn't last for long, but it was a start.)

I also learned the Jefferson considered Patrick Henry lazy, ignorant, volatile and poorly read, but a fantastic orator (the Donald Trump of his day.)  Henry's famous speech to the Virginia house of Burgesses might be more legend than fact, the first transcripts of it didn't appear until nearly fifty years later.

Hey Sav, this sounds great - is it a podcast? The link doesn't seem to have a download source.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

It used to be on ITunes U. It should be available on ITune store still, for free. Or you can click on the tabs: "sessions" have downloadable mp3 and video files. Like here: http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-116/lecture-1

Freeman is also on Twitter (for all your Hamilton, and bird-related snippets...): her next project, on American political violence (including within the halls of Congress) should be of interests to some of you.

Berkut

If it isn't in the search category of the "Podcasts" icon on my phone, it doesn't exist. I mean really, WTF? Is it hard to get listed there?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Probably not hard. Probably not a huge priority either. Open courses as podcasts are a thing of the past.

Savonarola

It is still available through iTunes U (sorry Berk), it's the second "Top rated" course in the history section.  The first, "Early Middle Ages" (also by Open Yale) is very well done as well.  In that one the professor keeps mentioning that the various barbarian kings and queens would make great cat names.  (If I weren't allergic to cats I might get a Fredegund and Brunhild.)

Do you know Freeman personally, Oex?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Those Open Yale "Early Middle Ages" bits seem to be available on YouTube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77A337915A76F660
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

No, I do not know her biblically.

celedhring

Finally got into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - I tried before but his style turned me off, but he has finally clicked for me after listening to his WWI series.

Since he's got most of his work behind a paywall, which ones do you believe I should definitely get?

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2018, 02:44:20 PM
Finally got into Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - I tried before but his style turned me off, but he has finally clicked for me after listening to his WWI series.

Since he's got most of his work behind a paywall, which ones do you believe I should definitely get?

IMO get his Death Throes of the Republic and Wrath of the Khans series.

My favorites of his one-offs: Logical Insanity, Prophets of Doom, The American Peril, and Suffer the Children

But you cannot really go wrong with any of them, though the earlier episodes were very short.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."