News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Berkie, episode 1 of Serial was interesting.  Will listen to more.

The presentation of the case is slightly annoying to me though, how it's cut up into 12 episodes.  I guess it gives more structure to the podcast, but I'd kind of prefer to just get my big binders of disclosure from the homicide detectives and start reading from the beginning.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

NPR's Planet Money: similar to Freakonomics, but comes across as more rigorous. I'm not a fan of Freakonomics and prefer this podcast instead. 

NPR's Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me: comedy program centered around news/current events. Usually hilarious.

The History of Rome: I'm slowly making my way through this from the beginning. My biggest gripe is that the recorded volume is really low so I can't hear it in the car or subway, even with the volume cranked all the way up. Mike Duncan went on to do another podcast on Revolutions, which also seems interesting.

The Ancient World: Like History of Rome but with a different guy and focused on, naturally, the ancient world.

The China History Podcast: decent podcasts on topics from Chinese history. He can be a little long-winded though.

Occasionally I'll listen to Radiolab or This American Life. NPR's Invisibilia was pretty good too, but it had a short run, just 7 episodes.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Savonarola

I listen to News in Slow French and News in Slow Spanish.  I'm looking for something a little more challenging in both languages; but still simple enough that someone who doesn't have complete fluency in both languages, could follow.  Does anyone have any recommendations?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

A new Podcast is starting up called History on Fire.  Only one installment so far on the slave revolts which occurred before Spartacus.   It is really very good.  Similar to the quality of Dan Carlin's material.

Also for people who liked the Ancient World Podcast give "History of our World" by Rob Monaco a try.  I like his delivery and he gives a lot of details about the myths and day to day lives of the ancients that makes the subject quite engaging.

The Larch

I personally don't see the appeal that Dan Carlin seems to have, I listened to a couple of his podcasts and his style really grates me, it's so sensationalistic and theatrical (you can really see that he comes from a radio jockey background). And that dramatic flair he puts on it turns all his podcasts into really long affairs. Personally I very much prefer Mike Duncan's more laid back tone.

A good contrast of these two styles is the episode Mike Duncan did for a project called "10 American Presidents" (http://www.10usp.com/) for Washington. On it he goes deeper in the same direction he went for the segment on the American Revolution for his own podcast, basically that the colonists were a bunch of tax dodging crybabies and Washington himself a quite lousy general (except for logistics and retreats, in which he excelled), which really contrasted with some segments with dramatic background music and bombastic actors reciting from the period texts they used to illustrate some of the points they touched.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2015, 03:23:19 PM
I listen to News in Slow French and News in Slow Spanish.  I'm looking for something a little more challenging in both languages; but still simple enough that someone who doesn't have complete fluency in both languages, could follow.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Canadian French language baseball.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2015, 04:10:01 PM
Canadian French language baseball.

But they no longer have a team. Minor League baseball?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 09:21:33 PM
But they no longer have a team. Minor League baseball?

They still broadcast other cities' games.

sbr

Quote from: The Larch on October 06, 2015, 04:07:19 PM
I personally don't see the appeal that Dan Carlin seems to have, I listened to a couple of his podcasts and his style really grates me, it's so sensationalistic and theatrical (you can really see that he comes from a radio jockey background). And that dramatic flair he puts on it turns all his podcasts into really long affairs. Personally I very much prefer Mike Duncan's more laid back tone.

A good contrast of these two styles is the episode Mike Duncan did for a project called "10 American Presidents" (http://www.10usp.com/) for Washington. On it he goes deeper in the same direction he went for the segment on the American Revolution for his own podcast, basically that the colonists were a bunch of tax dodging crybabies and Washington himself a quite lousy general (except for logistics and retreats, in which he excelled), which really contrasted with some segments with dramatic background music and bombastic actors reciting from the period texts they used to illustrate some of the points they touched.

I couldn't agree more.  While the material may be interesting I cannot listen to Carlin.

crazy canuck

I agree that he has a certain grating quality but his material is quite good.

Eddie Teach

News in Slow Spanish.

I like this concept, but not gonna pay 50 bucks a year for the privilege. Que lastima.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: sbr on October 06, 2015, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 06, 2015, 04:07:19 PM

I couldn't agree more.  While the material may be interesting I cannot listen to Carlin.

The material is interesting indeed (one of the ones I listened was about the Münster rebellion and it was very interesting), what I can't stand is the delivery.

Brazen

The makers of The Lego Movie are making a TV series of Serial.

"Everything - even potential miscarriages of justice - is awesome."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34411026

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2015, 09:59:51 PM
News in Slow Spanish.

I like this concept, but not gonna pay 50 bucks a year for the privilege. Que lastima.

You can get a 7 minute version which covers one topic for free.  Also if you go far enough back in the archives you'll find the complete 30 minute podcast for free.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock