News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Been listening to Philosophize This! A history of philosophy podcast. It starts pretty plainly, but as it happens with many of those podcasts the guy grows confident as time goes on and he ends finding his niche and pushing you quite a bit, he's pretty good at observing the environment philosophers lived and how it possibly molded their ideas, plus their place in the continuum of human culture and thought. If you're interested in philosophy, it's a great listen.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 31, 2017, 11:03:34 AM
Open courses as podcasts are a thing of the past.

Why is that?  Lots of good material from the ones that were released.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Yep. But it's become a brand management thing for elite universities, and can't be monetized properly for starving state schools. The boondoggle of online education has moved to coursera for state schools, and has been fought with increased success by faculty in other institutions.

You'll still get great podcasts, but they will be produced explicitly as outreach programs by rich institutions, or as individual faculty initiatives, not as courses.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2018, 10:40:29 AM
A podcast I recently found has become my addiction. https://literatureandhistory.com/

This is the lit prof you wish you had in university.  He places the literature in its historical context and gives an excellent synopsis of the literature he is examining in that episode.  He also finishes each episode with a humorous song.  If you love history you will love this podcast - with the added advantage that you will learn about the literature that has influenced our cultural development.

Can't recommend this highly enough.

The literature and history podcast put me onto a new one - Mirror of Antiquity http://www.mirrorofantiquity.com/

Profs from Vasser discussing modern events and what classical literature has to teach us about them.  Perfect for the discerning Languishite.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 17, 2018, 03:32:40 PM

The literature and history podcast put me onto a new one - Mirror of Antiquity http://www.mirrorofantiquity.com/

Profs from Vasser discussing modern events and what classical literature has to teach us about them.  Perfect for the discerning Languishite.

Thanks CC, that sounds like an interesting one.  :)

edit:
Not strictly a podcast download yet, but Radio 4 are doing an interesting 10 part series of 15minute programmes about aspects of the new age of capitalism, worth a listen here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bkfml9/episodes/player
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

When Diplomacy Fails is starting a series on the negotiations which occurred after Armistice Day. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Savonarola

Another insight from "Life in the Universe":  The moon is tidal locked with the earth, which means that its revolution and rotation periods are the same.  Consequently there is an earth facing side of the moon and a non-earth facing side; but there is no Dark Side of the Moon.   :(

;)

Certain exo-planets (we think) are tidal locked with their stars, so they would have a dark side and a light side.

The lectures were recorded in 2012 (I'm really not sure how many of the students would have gotten the Pink Floyd reference.  My college roommate had a prof who made a joke that a resolver was the name of a Beatles album and no one else got the joke.)  At the time there were about 750 known exoplanets.  Today the number is nearly 4000.  The first exoplanet was discovered in 1995; what a time to be an astrophysicist or astronomer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I also heard an episode of the nerd podcast "Fallo de Sistema" in which they interviewed Sandy Petersen; the man who wrote the original "Call of Cthulhu" game.  He explained that the primary challenge of the game was that the monsters in the game were fundamentally different from Dungeons and Dragons.  Other game systems would have made Cthulhu the boss monster; he had to create a system which presented Cthulhu for what he is.  At which point I thought; "Why can't we just accept Cthulhu for what he is?"   :(

:cthulu:

He went on to do design work on Doom and Quake, which is why the monsters have a Cthulhuesque design.  He also did some work on Sid Meier's Civilization; which did come close to driving me insane in the early 90s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Waking up has a great episode for our times, and I think a LOT of Languishites could appreciate.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/142-addiction-depression-meaningful-life/
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2018, 04:59:07 PM
I also heard an episode of the nerd podcast "Fallo de Sistema" in which they interviewed Sandy Petersen; the man who wrote the original "Call of Cthulhu" game.  He explained that the primary challenge of the game was that the monsters in the game were fundamentally different from Dungeons and Dragons.  Other game systems would have made Cthulhu the boss monster; he had to create a system which presented Cthulhu for what he is.  At which point I thought; "Why can't we just accept Cthulhu for what he is?"   :(

He went on to do design work on Doom and Quake, which is why the monsters have a Cthulhuesque design.  He also did some work on Sid Meier's Civilization; which did come close to driving me insane in the early 90s.

I was back up in Detroit last week, and met up with some friends.  I was describing this to one of my friends who is a monster Cthulhu fan; his (new) girlfriend said, "Women always wonder what men talk about when they're not around..."

In any event, the newly revamped "Broken Record" podcast is really good so far.  The first two episodes are interviews with Rick Rubin and Niles Rodgers.

Savonarola

The School of Advanced Study from the University of London offers a number of online continuing education style lectures in a variety of subjects.  I've started going through the ones put on by the Centre for the History of Arabic Studies in Europe.  The first one I listened to was about Montesquieu's views of Islam.  I had thought that the "Lettres Persanes" were just a criticism of French society; but the lecturer made the case that they also reflected Montesquieu's antipathy towards Islam, which would be much more fully developed in "l'Esprit des Loix".

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on December 05, 2018, 05:29:54 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 15, 2018, 04:59:07 PM

I was back up in Detroit last week, and met up with some friends.  I was describing this to one of my friends who is a monster Cthulhu fan; his (new) girlfriend said, "Women always wonder what men talk about when they're not around..."

In any event, the newly revamped "Broken Record" podcast is really good so far.  The first two episodes are interviews with Rick Rubin and Niles Rodgers.

It would be hilarious if that were true - that as soon as menfolk were alone, they all, without exception, discussed Cthulhu.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

In the latest episode of "Emperor's of Rome" they were discussing middle republic literature.  They were discussing Ennius; whose works exists only in fragments.  Cicero discusses the dream of Mars; which the commentators said sounded quite modernistic as it's unclear from his quoting if Ennius had written a prophetic dream or an event that occurred.  Another fragment we have of Ennius is that he was Homer reborn with an intermediate life as a peacock; which the commentators found psychedelic.

Of course even professors of classical studies (as these commentators were) view the classical world from the perspective of the early twenty-first century (and being a peacock is certainly no weirder than what's found in "The Golden Ass" or Ovid's "Metamorphosis").  Still "Psychedelic Rome" struck me as amusing. 

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on May 29, 2019, 04:30:30 PM
The School of Advanced Study from the University of London offers a number of online continuing education style lectures in a variety of subjects.  I've started going through the ones put on by the Centre for the History of Arabic Studies in Europe.  The first one I listened to was about Montesquieu's views of Islam.  I had thought that the "Lettres Persanes" were just a criticism of French society; but the lecturer made the case that they also reflected Montesquieu's antipathy towards Islam, which would be much more fully developed in "l'Esprit des Loix".

In another lecturer from this series (this one about the impact of the Koran on western literature) the lecturer read a quote by Jorge Luis Borges: "The lack of camels in the Koran is proof of its authenticity."  ("Authentic" in the sense that it originated in the Middle East; a hoaxer would have loaded the narrative with camels in order to give it local color.)  Unfortunately there are camels mentioned in the Koran (Borges probably misunderstood a line in Gibbons); but it's still a good quote.