News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-100-titans-and-planet-destroyers.1064560/

:hmm:

The latest (with some of it as part of the newly announced expanison) are death stars and flagships.  Not sure those are the key things that were missing from the base game.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

QuoteGod Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.

Shark jumped?

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2018, 11:20:36 AM
QuoteGod Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.

Shark jumped?

Not if you actually quote it in context:

QuotePlanet Destroyers (Apocalypse Feature)
As mentioned all the way back in Dev Diary #50 and again in Dev Diary #69, Planet Destroyers have been on our wish list for quite some time, but wasn't something we could make work with restrictive nature of the old warscore system. Now that this is no longer a concern thanks to the new war system we talked about in Dev Diary #93, we finally have our chance to implement this beloved sci-fi staple.

Planet Destroyers come in the form of a new ship class called a Colossus. Though nominally a military ship, the Colossus has no actual fleet combat capability, but is instead a single massive weapon solely dedicated to the purpose of laying waste to enemy planets. To build a Colossus, you must first already know how to build Titans (more on those below) and then take the Colossus Project Ascension Perk, which unlocks a special project to research and design your first Colossus. Each Colossus mounts a single World Devastator-class weapon, and during the course of the project you will be given the option to choose which such weapon you want to focus on, with five potential options to choose from:
World Cracker: Shatters a planet, leaving behind a broken debris field that can be mined for resources. Available to non-Pacifists.
Global Pacifier: Encases the planet in an impenetrable shield, permanently cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy. A research station can be built to study the planet afterwards.
Neutron Sweep: Destroys most higher forms of life on the planet but leaves the infrastructure intact for colonization. Available to non-Spiritualist, non-Pacifist empires.
God Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.
Nanobot Dispersal: Assimilates all Pops on the planet, causing it to defect to your empire with its newly cyborgized population. Only available to Driven Assimilators (and thus requires Synthetic Dawn as well).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

God ray still seems like an odd one given that it seems to be only one that is changing ethics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2018, 11:24:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2018, 11:20:36 AM

Shark jumped?

Not if you actually quote it in context:

QuotePlanet Destroyers (Apocalypse Feature)
As mentioned all the way back in Dev Diary #50 and again in Dev Diary #69, Planet Destroyers have been on our wish list for quite some time, but wasn't something we could make work with restrictive nature of the old warscore system. Now that this is no longer a concern thanks to the new war system we talked about in Dev Diary #93, we finally have our chance to implement this beloved sci-fi staple.

Planet Destroyers come in the form of a new ship class called a Colossus. Though nominally a military ship, the Colossus has no actual fleet combat capability, but is instead a single massive weapon solely dedicated to the purpose of laying waste to enemy planets. To build a Colossus, you must first already know how to build Titans (more on those below) and then take the Colossus Project Ascension Perk, which unlocks a special project to research and design your first Colossus. Each Colossus mounts a single World Devastator-class weapon, and during the course of the project you will be given the option to choose which such weapon you want to focus on, with five potential options to choose from:
World Cracker: Shatters a planet, leaving behind a broken debris field that can be mined for resources. Available to non-Pacifists.
Global Pacifier: Encases the planet in an impenetrable shield, permanently cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy. A research station can be built to study the planet afterwards.
Neutron Sweep: Destroys most higher forms of life on the planet but leaves the infrastructure intact for colonization. Available to non-Spiritualist, non-Pacifist empires.
God Ray: Converts all organic Pops on the planet to spiritualist and destroys all machine/synthetic pops, as well as massively increasing spiritualist ethics attraction on the planet for a time. Available to Spiritualist empires.
Nanobot Dispersal: Assimilates all Pops on the planet, causing it to defect to your empire with its newly cyborgized population. Only available to Driven Assimilators (and thus requires Synthetic Dawn as well).

How does the context change the effect of the God Ray? - I was looking forward to 2.0 but this is just silly.   Spiritualists get to convert people using big modified death ray?  The Nanobot ray is a close second but at least it is in keeping with the ethic.

They should have stopped with the first three

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2018, 12:39:25 PM
How does the context change the effect of the God Ray? - I was looking forward to 2.0 but this is just silly.   Spiritualists get to convert people using big modified death ray?  The Nanobot ray is a close second but at least it is in keeping with the ethic.

It's just the Orbital Mind Control Laser turned up to 11...

Tonitrus

Well, at least with they way manage expansions, one should be able to play without them.

celedhring

Good to know they are devoting a DLC to war - I find that part of the game tremendously unsatisfying. It has a lot of moving parts but at the end of the day it's just doomstack whack-a-mole.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2018, 12:09:19 PM
God ray still seems like an odd one given that it seems to be only one that is changing ethics.

They all seem to be different, so i don't know why ethics is the "odd one out" when physical destruction is also the odd one out, and sealing off the planet is also the odd one out, etc.  God Ray is an ethics changer available to an empire type that emphasizes ethics.

Seems like the goal is that every type of empire gets their own type of Planet Destroyer. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

garbon

KRonn

I need to get back into this game. I got a new computer a months ago but haven't loaded very many games to it yet. Paradox has added a lot of enhancements to it.

mongers

Just noticed this is part of a new $12 humble bundle offer this month, that includes a lot of other paradox games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/paradox-bundle-2018
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2018, 08:27:18 PM
Just noticed this is part of a new $12 humble bundle offer this month, that includes a lot of other paradox games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/paradox-bundle-2018

Those are some nice game bundles. I got EU:Rome recently and have been playing that. I had it before in the box version but got it and expacs from Steam. Also just downloaded Stellaris from Steam and started playing that. I had already bought Stellaris and played it before but didn't have it on this new computer. I also want to download HOI IV to continue a game there. Also EU IV at some point soon. Just need time to play.

FunkMonk

2.0 and Apocalypse are out tomorrow.

I started playing the Star Trek mod last week and I'm actually a little excited about this revamp of the base game.

Will Stellaris 2.0 be: great?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.