News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maximus

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2020, 04:01:26 PM
Unfun thing: waging war against somebody that has unlocked habitats and having to micromanage invading half a dozen planets in every system...
If you set your transport fleets to aggressive, they will try to follow your fleets and will try to invade planets in the systems they are in. Cuts down a lot on micro.

I think they will be somewhat smart about which planets to invade, but I haven't had a chance to test that.

Syt

For some reason I always fall behind in fleet power. I never seem to be able to keep up with the AI when it comes to building ships. Oddly, I have the same issue in EU4. So I guess the problem is me, not the game.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2020, 08:08:29 AM
For some reason I always fall behind in fleet power. I never seem to be able to keep up with the AI when it comes to building ships. Oddly, I have the same issue in EU4. So I guess the problem is me, not the game.  :hmm:

What difficulty level are you using?

Although Stellaris is becoming like EU3 - every patch and tweak seems to make it easier.

--------------

Also, the latest improvements to the AI fleet management have had the counter-intuitive effect of nerfing the Great Khan.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2020, 02:55:24 PM
I'm playing on Captain difficulty.

Try setting the difficulty to scaling so the AI bonuses take effect as the game progresses if you are being outbuilt in the early game.

Although I'm actually considering taking it off scaling - since 2.6 came out the game itself has felt much easier, partly because they've nerfed empire sprawl, partly because the ai improvements seem to have made it easier for the AI to death spiral in the early game, partly because the fleet handling improvements have accidentally nerfed the great Khan*, and partly because some of the origins are ridiculously powerful (scion, for example.)

----------------------

*The new fleet handling improvements to the AI were supposed to ensure it concentrated better. The Great Khan takes this lesson to heart and masses most of his fleets with his own. If the Khan has only one direction to expand in, being blocked by a fallen empire or other impassable terrain in one direction he can still expand. If he is open on both flanks this huge fleet spends all its time shuttling back and forth across 5 or 6 systems as he counters an attack at one end of his dominions and then turns back to counter an attack at the other end of his dominions.

For only the second time ever in my games I saw the Khan wiped out by the AI in one of my most recent games. The previous time the Khan had woken up in 2390 in between a couple of the more powerful empires - this time he was surrounded by much wimpier foes and awoke about 30 years earlier (so late, but not too late.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Solmyr

Syt

It's been a while since the last content came out. New race pack announced:

Necrons. I mean: Necroids. Totally different from WH40K Necrons. :P

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1341520/Stellaris_Necroids_Species_Pack/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Turning on AI managed for planets and sectors sucks.  It does nothing to reduce the micromanagement in late game.

Where am I going wrong?
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 25, 2020, 08:30:44 PM
Turning on AI managed for planets and sectors sucks.  It does nothing to reduce the micromanagement in late game.

Where am I going wrong?

The problem is that Stellaris micro sucks in the late-middle to late-game.

Zanza

The mid game is boring and the endgame a micro he'll. Stellaris mainly excels in the early phase of exploration. I wonder why they don't bring some more of that exploration to the mid game too.

Solmyr

Various event mods go a long way towards alleviating the late-game monotony.

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 25, 2020, 08:30:44 PM

Where am I going wrong?

Did you load up the sectors with energy and minerals so they could build using the AI?

I actually liked the old, manual sectors a lot better than the automatically-bad sectors the game uses now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on September 26, 2020, 02:57:46 PM
Various event mods go a long way towards alleviating the late-game monotony.

Keep going back to the shroud and your late-game boredom and micro-management problems will disappear.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!