News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2017, 12:27:06 PM
gonna get the new expansion just to play the borg for a bit.

:hmm:

You could just play then for free in the Star Trek mod.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2017, 12:39:03 PM

I tried the star trek mod, it annoyed me for some reason. it seemed off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2017, 12:50:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2017, 12:39:03 PM

I tried the star trek mod, it annoyed me for some reason. it seemed off.

What an odd statement.

At any rate, playing as the Borg in their September release is quite fun. Unique set of mechanics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

I didn't play the borg just the klingons and federation a few months ago. Maybe it's gotten better. The federation mechanics in the game didn't translate well to Star Trek.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Well I know in the mod that you need to initially form Stellaris type federation but then Federation of Planets trek wise is a bit different.

garbon

Latest Stellaris dev diary with restriction of FTL down to hyperlanes at start and removing warp seems like they decided they bit off more than they can chew with the initial design. Particularly when you combine that with change that each system will now be owned by having some sort of starbase there.

Seems very much like it'll be a very different game after the next patch.

Tonitrus

Agreed. 

I am very apprehensive about the starbase idea.  There is plenty wrong with the current border system, but un-destroyable (though capturable) starbases will inevitably annoy the hell out of me.  If only for the reason that systems will never be able to be "unclaimed" as a result of a destructive, scorched-earth war.

And while I tend to have an innate dislike of hyperlanes (a legacy from all my MOO-playing days)...I understand why they might be better in a real-time vs turn-based game.  And admittedly, I will play hyperlanes-only in the games where I expect to fight a lot.  The one good thing about that change, though, is that some of the peripheral changes they are making are really cool, and I think should already have been in (e.g. having to cross a system to the actual "exit" point to another system, natural wormholes, more "effective" nebulas).

garbon

Yeah, I think that's a good summary of how I feel about the proposed changes. Will see how things turn out.

Tonitrus

Even the "jump" FTL mechanic seems interesting (probably a draw from my Battletech days)...and would be interesting if that were the only form of FTL (as an option, of course).

Zanza

I did not fully get what was wrong with borders so far, although I agree that stationary defended were useless. So I am not sure about the database change.

As wormhole travel was so much more powerful than hyperlanes and at the same time eliminated quite a bit of strategic depth from the game, I can see how the FTP change will add to the game.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on November 05, 2017, 07:35:31 AM
I did not fully get what was wrong with borders so far, although I agree that stationary defended were useless. So I am not sure about the database change.

As wormhole travel was so much more powerful than hyperlanes and at the same time eliminated quite a bit of strategic depth from the game, I can see how the FTP change will add to the game.

Yeah, in my recent game I eliminated the other FLT drives to try to add a bit more strategy to the game.  I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Zanza

Damn. I should check for auto-correct next time.  :lol:

Grey Fox

I played 1 game with worm hole as the only FTL tech. It was weird.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

I really enjoyed the game I played without any FTL tech at all. It was peaceful.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Today's DD on an updated war claims/exhaustion system actually looks pretty good.