And we're back!

Main Menu

Buying a new laptop

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2015, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

On desktop, you can use utilities like these to adjust fan speeds:
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

If it works on your laptop, you could adjust the fan curve to be a little more agressive, i.e., increase its speed earlier as temperature raises.

It is also possible that HP provides such a tool, althought I doubt it, you should check with them first, or look at their support website.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I tried good ole' Speedfan but it's never worked in any of my laptops. I'll check this one.

Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: It only allows me to set up the behavior of the GPU fan - which I don't have. I'll see if I find other similar utilities.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2017, 10:54:07 AM
I tried good ole' Speedfan but it's never worked in any of my laptops. I'll check this one.

Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: It only allows me to set up the behavior of the GPU fan - which I don't have. I'll see if I find other similar utilities.
if you use Speedfan, you need to disable fan control in your BIOS, if there any in your HP laptop.

Also, I found this:
Make sure you configure your PWM modes to software controlled, it's the most common error I see when people first set up SpeedFan:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I'll look around these settings. Thanks a lot. :)

I'm playing Witcher 3 with it, and the laptop surface is cooler right now with the fans full on, than what I get with middle loads with the fans barely turning on. If I can tune the fans right, it will be a breeze. At least I know that the underlying hardware is solid.