News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buying a new laptop

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2015, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I'm looking to buy a new laptop later this year. Mine is not up to snuff to play stuff like Witcher 3, the new Batman game and all these next gen games. What kind of specs should I be looking at? I'd really rather not buy a gaming laptop, they look way too juvenile and I'm going to use this PC for work too. I don't care about running games at top specs, just being able to play them at an acceptable level.

For reference, my current system (about 30 months old):

i7-4700
8 Gb
Nvidia Geforce 740M
Windows 8.1

katmai

What kind of weirdo in our business doesn't have a macbook :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

I know, I'm usually the only PC guy in any team I join  :D

In our industry, the hipster thing is using a PC.

Grey Fox

The hold up of your current laptop is the video card. Find a laptop with a 970m in an acceptale case.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

External graphic card is the way to go, if you want to really be some kind of weirdo among your peers :P
http://hackaday.com/2015/03/26/a-laptop-with-an-external-graphics-card/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Mmm... after a search I think I will postpone the purchase, there's nothing that's particularly impressed me during my search. Seems that if I want to play current-gen games on a laptop I have to put up with bulky "gaming laptops" with juvenile designs and noisy cooling systems.

If I were to purchase a rough equivalent of what I have now (a midrange graphics card of current technology) I would run current games at medium settings at 30 fps-ish (according to benchmark sites I've consulted). Which is acceptable, but it seems to me it would get outdated really quick.

I've read that nVidia are releasing a new GPU generation next year, but that's probably going to be a long wait.

Berkut

I am looking at getting a gaming laptop, since I am away from home a lot.

The HP Omen 15 seems pretty decent, but fucking HP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2015, 04:08:32 AM
Mmm... after a search I think I will postpone the purchase, there's nothing that's particularly impressed me during my search. Seems that if I want to play current-gen games on a laptop I have to put up with bulky "gaming laptops" with juvenile designs and noisy cooling systems.

If I were to purchase a rough equivalent of what I have now (a midrange graphics card of current technology) I would run current games at medium settings at 30 fps-ish (according to benchmark sites I've consulted). Which is acceptable, but it seems to me it would get outdated really quick.

I've read that nVidia are releasing a new GPU generation next year, but that's probably going to be a long wait.

:yes: New GPU family, and both AMD and nVidia are starting to take a serious look at the ability to hook a laptop to an external GPU to keep them competitive with desktop systems.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 02:10:43 AM
I am looking at getting a gaming laptop, since I am away from home a lot.

The HP Omen 15 seems pretty decent, but fucking HP.
Avoid HP at all costs.

I've had good luck with Acer in the past.
Look for a decent GPU and 8gb ram at least.  Intel is still the better CPU for gaming, and Nvidia vs AMD for GPU, it's up to you.

17" screen is nice to play, but it's also heavier to carry and unpractical if you want it on your knees, so it's a personal choice.  I've bought a 17" for my use and mostly for my step mother's use, but I kinda regret it.

There are these two here that don't seem so bad:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=120441&vpn=NX.Q05AA.002&manufacture=Acer&promoid=1516
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=120443&vpn=NX.Q03AA.001&manufacture=Acer&promoid=1516

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Not willing to spend that much, looking for something more in the $1200 or so range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152944

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

Liep

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 01:45:11 PM
Lenovo laptops? Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13V68806

My mom got a Lenovo laptop 2-3 years ago, it hasn't been particularly error prone and a right masterpiece compared to her last, a HP.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Berkut

I can get a work discount on Lenovo laptops, so I can get this:

Ideapad Y700 15" Laptop - Black

Part number: 80NV005FUS
Edit configuration |
Remove|
Add to Wishlist
Ships in 1-3 business days

Quantity: 
  Item Price$1,008.06   

• 5.72 lbs( 2.6 kgs)

• Windows 10 Home 64

• No Optical Disk Drive

• ClickPad

• 1.72in( 43.66 mm)

• 4 Cell 60 Watt Hour Li-Polymer

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB

• Depot or Carry-in

• 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

• SODIMM

• 18.99in( 482.4 mm)

• 28.37in( 720.6 mm)

• 16.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 2133 MHz

• HDMI2 USB 3.0,1 Always On USB 2.0,Audio jack(2 in 1),RJ-45,DC in,4-in-1 Media Card Reader (SD, MMC, SDHC, SDXC)

• Bluetooth Version 4.0

• Intel Wireless-AC 8260

• One year

• EN:English

• 1TB 5400 RPM+128GB SSD

for right at $1000 US, with free shipping to boot. That is with a 15.6" 1080 display. For another $150 I could get the 15.6" 4k display, but that seems unnecessary.

0 rows returned

viper37

the video card is a little weak for gaming and you have no SSD.
Of course, the price is good for what you have, but it might be slow for some games.

Berkut

It does have an SSD, just not a very large one.

1TB HD + 128GB SSD

The GPU is decent, but not great. The 970M would certainly be better.

0 rows returned