The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 27, 2017, 11:11:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 27, 2017, 10:53:26 PM
I am not too worried.  Who knows what will happen in 200 years, but I really doubt if a post-scarcity economy will happen in our lifetimes.  You still need raw materials and energy for the machines.  Things like land will always be scarce.  You can't just build your dream house as there is not enough land to build it on.

As long as you're not in a major city or tourist area, the land will be cheaper than the materials.

And why should you be worried? A post scarcity economy would be a good thing.

A post-scarcity economy would be a complete disaster.  Insufficiency is probably the most fundamental and most important foundation of human society and mindset.  Everything we do is centred around that concept.  Humanity would have lost its purpose if people start to believe that insufficiency no longer applies.  It is the necessary engine for growth and advancement. 

Eddie Teach

Advancement will slow regardless. Knowledge advances used to be made by affluent eccentrics conducting experiments for fun in their homes. Now they take teams of people who've spent twenty years learning highly specialized knowledge using technological devices they barely understand.

Anyway, what's the point of all these advances if they don't make our lives better?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 27, 2017, 11:45:24 PM
Advancement will slow regardless. Knowledge advances used to be made by affluent eccentrics conducting experiments for fun in their homes. Now they take teams of people who've spent twenty years learning highly specialized knowledge using technological devices they barely understand.

Despite this, technological advancement has only seemed to accelerate over time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Sure. For instance, we have a pretty good idea how old human civilization is and some theories about how old the universe is. We've also developed the mathematical concept of "limits" and observed how various formulas perform as they approach one.

I'm not going to argue with you whether scientific progress has accelerated or decelerated since the early days of the scientific revolution, as that is nigh on impossible to quantify. But the human mind is finite.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Regarding Tim's article: automatization will cost a lot of jobs in the third world. When robots become cheaper than third world workers for stuff that is currently done there, it makes no sense to build a factory staffed with robots far away from markets, from maintenance service personnel and in unstable political or legal frameworks, so those robotic factories will be built in the West first. Adidas for example has started making shoes in Germany again - with robots of course.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on August 28, 2017, 01:09:12 AM
Regarding Tim's article: automatization will cost a lot of jobs in the third world. When robots become cheaper than third world workers for stuff that is currently done there, it makes no sense to build a factory staffed with robots far away from markets, from maintenance service personnel and in unstable political or legal frameworks, so those robotic factories will be built in the West first. Adidas for example has started making shoes in Germany again - with robots of course.

The Economist was worrying about this in a recent issue. Apparently sub-Saharan Africa is de-industrialising (% of GDP in manufacturing that is) and the manufacturing export-led route out of poverty is closing. Meanwhile the populations continue to inexorably rise at 3%+ pa, due largely to the poverty of course. It is a chilling prospect.

The Brain

Well not everyone can win bigly. And on the plus side they will be spared the evil that is globalization.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Wife is starting to use Starbucks app to order drinks.  So far the results have been fantastic.  She orders ahead and skips the waiting and payment stages.  When she arrives at Starbucks all she needs to do is to pick up her drink.  This overcomes Starbuck's greatest weakness, which is long waiting times.  I think this has great potential and can save a lot of waiting and labour for all take-away orders.  I hope McDonald's and other fast food places adopt the technology as well.   

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2017, 08:35:14 PM
"...And to Xiacob, I hereby bequeath my coolie, Monoriu, who he may release into the wild as he sees fit."

Oh I'll see fit to do something alright.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on September 11, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
Wife is starting to use Starbucks app to order drinks.  So far the results have been fantastic.  She orders ahead and skips the waiting and payment stages.  When she arrives at Starbucks all she needs to do is to pick up her drink.  This overcomes Starbuck's greatest weakness, which is long waiting times.  I think this has great potential and can save a lot of waiting and labour for all take-away orders.  I hope McDonald's and other fast food places adopt the technology as well.
Uh, we've been doing this for years. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

GREETING MACHINE WILL DESTROY NEED FOR HUMAN BEINGS TO GREET ONE ANOTHER!  WILL MANKIND SURVIVE?

Greeting Machine Explores Extreme Minimalism in Social Robots

I thought this was interesting; miLAB created a social robot who only consists of two spheres and whose sole function is to greet people.  They found that they could get the robot to move in a way that most people would interpret as a greeting:

The Greeting Machine.

I had never heard of a social robot before this.  The Wikipedia article has a great phrase " The technological posthumanization of human societies."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Sometimes I do wonder how come the coffee making business has not seen more automation.  It seems to me that the entire process is totally mechanistic and repetitive.