The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Josquius

My job isn't there. Though looks good for similarish jobs there. Though I have heard talk of some tools coming in to try and automate.

Read this one today
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artificial-intelligence-death-indian-sector-harpreet-singh

Yup. Those guys moaning about stem people and how coding is the path to riches... How wrong they are
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2017, 04:20:48 AM
Read this one today
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artificial-intelligence-death-indian-sector-harpreet-singh

Yup. Those guys moaning about stem people and how coding is the path to riches... How wrong they are

Still, just like here and based on the population, even more so in India, the humanities and the liberal arts is slowly becoming the path and domain of the super elite class, so it's not going to help your average Vijay Lassi Sixpack.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Yeah. Cunts and snobs.  You know the type.

One day the humanities will be relegated solely as the playground for those of status and wealth.  Everybody else digs ditches or codes.

garbon

I could easily say that one day everyone will be on basic income and everyone will be free to pursue interests in the humanities and liberal arts.

And know, I don't know anyone I'd qualify as super elite. I'm not Mart with his movers and shakers or MSil with the Botswanan ambassador.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I don't know if this has been posted but was kind of interesting.

https://qz.com/932516/over-the-last-60-years-automation-has-totally-eliminated-just-one-us-occupation/

QuoteAutomation often replaces human labor, but very rarely in the last sixty years has it eliminated an entire occupation.

Only one of the 270 detailed occupations listed in the 1950 US Census has since been eliminated by automation, according to a working paper by Harvard economist James Bessen. The one exception: elevator operator.

While the government has removed other occupations from the Census due to factors like lack of demand (boardinghouse keepers) and technological obsolescence (telegraph operators), only elevator operators owe their occupation's demise mostly to automation, Bessen found.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2017, 06:54:35 AM
I could easily say that one day everyone will be on basic income and everyone will be free to pursue interests in the humanities and liberal arts.

You can, but you'd be wrong.

QuoteAnd know, I don't know anyone I'd qualify as super elite. I'm not Mart with his movers and shakers or MSil with the Botswanan ambassador.

STFU, Stanford.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2017, 07:14:22 AM

You can, but you'd be wrong.

QuoteAnd know, I don't know anyone I'd qualify as super elite. I'm not Mart with his movers and shakers or MSil with the Botswanan ambassador.

STFU, Stanford.

Oh so by 'super elite' you mean anyone you are annoyed at. Got it. After all, nothing super elite about a 9 to 5.

Eddie Teach

You mean you don't have brunch with Tiger Woods and Chelsea Clinton?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2017, 07:33:57 AM
Oh so by 'super elite' you mean anyone you are annoyed at. Got it. After all, nothing super elite about a 9 to 5.

Don't be a cunt, you know precisely the point I am making:  in the not too distant future, the Ivy League, some Little Ivies, and a handful of other snooty institutions will be the only institutions where the liberal arts and the humanities will actually matter.  It will be the leisurely intellectual pursuit not of the Haves but of the Have Mores.

viper37

Why would you wish such torture on people?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

No. You're a poser.  Sorry, poseur, mon frère.

Monoriu

I really don't see the need for, say, a quarter of the undergraduate population learning the humanities.  Sure, we need some people researching the French revolution and keeping the knowledge alive etc.  But it really doesn't take more than a small number of academics and researchers to do those kind of stuff.