And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 20, 2020, 02:00:46 AM
Yeah, "chosen people" is a bit two-edged really  :huh:

Heh, it's one edge when understood properly - in the religion, Jews are "chosen" to have all sorts of extra obligations; the pay off is merely that Jews as a nation will never disappear. Unlike other religions, such as Christianity, being Jewish doesn't make you personally extra righteous or get any personal benefits, like access to a better afterlife.

In Judaism, anyone who follows the so called "Noahide Laws" is equally righteous in the eyes of God as the most righteous Jew.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2020, 08:26:58 AM
In Judaism, anyone who follows the so called "Noahide Laws" is equally righteous in the eyes of God as the most righteous Jew.

You just made me check those. I think I fail on the eating raw meat count, and what I'm guessing will be a rather narrow definition of what "sexual immorality" consists of  :(

Syt

Interesting how the Twitter algorithm decides to pick picture previews:

https://twitter.com/bascule/status/1307446234655809536

Image 1:

Image 2:

How it shows up in timelines:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Yeah, I saw it arising a couple of days ago when someone, on Twitter, wanted to show how Zoom had trouble picking up facial features of black people to determine background... and then discovering in the process of tweeting his discussion, that Twitter also systematically picked the white face as the preview.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

This is a well known problem with cameras. It's particularly awful when you try and get a white person and a black person in the same shot.
I read an interesting piece a while ago about a Chinese phone company doing well in Africa by targeting this problem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/10/tech/tecno-phones-africa/index.html
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2020, 08:46:17 AM

You just made me check those. I think I fail on the eating raw meat count, and what I'm guessing will be a rather narrow definition of what "sexual immorality" consists of  :(

I think it isn't raw meat that is prohibited - it's flesh torn from a living animal (or, more broadly, extreme cruelty to animals). Eating raw meat from an already dead animal doesn't count.

On sexual immorality - that depends on which type of Judaism you follow. In Reform Judaism, the majority denomination in North America, that is interpreted as basically excluding non-consensual stuff: homosexuality and bisexuality are both okay.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2020, 12:24:19 PM
On sexual immorality - that depends on which type of Judaism you follow. In Reform Judaism, the majority denomination in North America, that is interpreted as basically excluding non-consensual stuff: homosexuality and bisexuality are both okay.
According to Reform Judaism, are animals capable of giving consent?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2020, 12:27:38 PM
According to Reform Judaism, are animals capable of giving consent?

I didn't know you and the Brain had so much in common ... 😄

I honestly don't know, but strongly suspect the answer is "no".

Edit: looked it up and it is "no".

https://www.quora.com/In-Reform-Judaism-is-bestiality-a-person-doing-sexual-intercourse-with-a-non-human-animal-forbidden-If-so-then-based-on-what

Josquius

Shit movie ideas #486:

The Australian - Bruce Anderson wakes up one morning after a night of hard drinking in his local pub. He quickly deduces he is not in his apartment and ventures into the world outside to find he doesn't even seem to be in his town.... After a bit of investigation he discovers he is infact in the rather ridiculously named town of Gary, Indiana. He suspects his mate Gary is pulling a prank.
That is until he pops into a diner where the waitress is a mysterious girl who seems to know Bruce very well indeed. Was she a long forgotten one night stand?... She claims to have known Bruce all his life, a life spent in "Gary"
What of Australia? Is that the sound of music place? A quick check of the Internet on her fully charged phone reveals... A vast sea of nothingness west of New Zealand. Australia doesn't exist.
Just what the hell is going on here?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I don't understand what is being shown with the Twitter thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I think it isn't raw meat that is prohibited - it's flesh torn from a living animal (or, more broadly, extreme cruelty to animals). Eating raw meat from an already dead animal doesn't count.

Ah, then I'm fine in the eyes of God, if he exists. Worth to keep your bases covered.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2020, 12:06:51 PM
This is a well known problem with cameras. It's particularly awful when you try and get a white person and a black person in the same shot.
I read an interesting piece a while ago about a Chinese phone company doing well in Africa by targeting this problem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/10/tech/tecno-phones-africa/index.html

It works with cartoon characters, too, apparently :unsure:
https://twitter.com/_jsimonovski/status/1307542747197239296
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2020, 03:24:23 PM

Ah, then I'm fine in the eyes of God, if he exists. Worth to keep your bases covered.

You are assuming that another God,  the evidence for whose existence is as strong as that of the Jewish God, doesn't exist with commandments that require the tearing of the flesh from living animals and non-consensual sex.  Hannibal Lector is square with him/her, but your bases are not covered.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2020, 02:49:52 PM
I don't understand what is being shown with the Twitter thing.

If you try to post a large image to Twitter (or Facebook), the Twitter (or Facebook) algorithm will crop it to create a thumbnail. It almost always centers that thumbnail around a white face, regardless of that face's position in the image.

So, the example above compares the submission of two nearly identical images with a weird format - a long thin strip. Twitter then crops the image around Moscow Mitch, regardless of whether he appears at the top of the strip, or at the bottom.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

What's wrong with the name Gary?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?